Arkansas folks speak up.........

Thank you! I put them up Sunday night, left them in all day Monday. Let them out Monday evening, they knew that evening it was time for roosting but wasn't sure what to do so helped them back in the Coop. Last night when we got home for my Daughter's Softball game, they had put themselves up! I was so proud...and happy! Souuld I have 2 sets of waterers & feeders? To leave one in run & one in the Coop? Or just leave the feeder & waterer in the run now that they're out there all day at this point?

If they are allowed to come out at will, there is no need to have feeders and waterers in the coop. Chickens don't eat or drink at night in the dark, and, unless broody or hiding from aggressive flock mates, they will come out to eat or spend most of their time outside anyway. I never liked to have food or water in the coop as it leads to wet bedding and encourages mice, etc.
I agree with caj on that mostly. However, it also depends on your set up and if you ever leave them inside. For my coop, which is a converted space under a tree house, I have room to put feed and water inside as well as out. I like having my feed inside as I don't worry about it getting rained on and yucky. Also, I am a bit lazy with "getting up with the chickens" and they are usually up and roaming before I am, so having water and feed inside allows me a chance to sleep in a bit.
wink.png

If my coop were smaller, my set up would be much different. Also, another reason to have more than one feeder and water is if you have any birds (especially new babies in a flock) who might be on the bottom of the pecking order, more than one feed/water location might allow them a second option if you have someone who likes to "guard" their feed. Just something to think on in the future. My numbers change with flock numbers and weather. In the summer I might have up to 4 water stations set up and if I have new birds or babies I might have up to 4 feed stations set up. But again, I have a fairly large space to work with. Also consider any feeder or waterer you put down, subtracts "space" from the coop.

Sounds like you are doing just fine. Glad your birds were fast learners.

Also glad to see caj chiming in. I miss her!

I would sa "cock a doodle do"!
At five weeks with that comb and those wattles, you have a cockerel.

Haha. Ok, thanks y'all! I was afraid of that, really been hoping that wouldn't be the case. Thinking my other one like that must be a cockerel also, comb isn't as red, but still bright enough. My 3rd GLW's comb area is very pale so pretty sure that she is a she. :) Those other 2 have been pretty aggressive. Not quite as much now that they're in the Coop & Run as before in the smaller space. So, now to find the 2 cockerels homes elsewhere!

Back
Top Bottom