Arkansas folks speak up.........

If you want protective hens & roosters that will go broody and raise theirs or anyone else's broods try Sumatras. They are very popular in AR because Dr. Bramwell at the UofA Fayetteville breeds them. You should be able to pick up a pair or trio fairly easily. They aren't the world's best layers, but both roosters and hens will protect the chicks.

I keep see the name Dr. Bramwell on different thread hear on backyardchickens. I will check out Sumatras on the breed section. Thanks for the idea and responding to my post.

I keep see the name Dr. Bramwell on different thread hear on backyardchickens. I will check out Sumatras on the breed section. Thanks for the idea and responding to my post.
Dr. Bramwell works at the University of Arkansas Poultry Sciences division in Fayetteville. He has a barn full of Heratige breeds that he works with doing research with the students. In the past he has given out eggs from his birds to 4H groups and also to hobby farmers interested in raising Heritage breeds when he has extras that are not being used. You can locate his info. with a search on Faculty at the University. He does not give out birds or chicks, only eggs.

I know he had suspended giving out eggs due to the Avian Influenza issues but I had heard that he was giving them out again.

I enjoyed our Sumatras. They are not a cuddly breed but very good free rangers.

Trying to figure out exactly what the colors are on my birds and which are "recognized" colors. I want to take some to the fair, mostly for demo purposes, but I would like them to be as "correct" as possible. I know that some of mine are kind of "hobby" colors and not recognized and that is fine, I just want to label them as such. I have never had a breed with so many color possibilities and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what is acceptable.

They are 3 months old and their colors are still developing. I need to take some current pics.

I have what are supposed to be: Lemon Blue, Lemon Splash, Black mottled, Mil Flur, Silver laced, and Black/Blue. I know the Black Mottled and Silver laced are recognized and the Black. My problem is the Lemon Blue, Lemon Splash, Mil Flur. Also the Black one has a Brown/red Head/neck so I don't know if that makes him a Red Brown.

I'll try to get some current pics and post so it makes more sense.
th.gif

Ok, Just took these. These are all 12 weeks and I know they are still developing but I am so lost with all the color possibilities.

Lemon Blue?, Lemon Blue?, "black" boy came from a Blue/Black pairing but what is up with the Red/brown feathers?, Lemon Splash?

Mil Flur?

I know the above is Silver Laced

Lemon Splash?

This guy is actually a Black/Blue Mottled he just has very few spots yet.

So - What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom