Arkansas folks speak up.........

Well, it has been interesting to me to kind of watch when everyone is beginning as all of my pullets I have hatched either via incubator or broody mama so I know that from day one I know the conditions have been similar if not identical for them all so the biggest variable in POL is the breed. I am not a records keeper but it seems like with every hatch I have something that intrigues me. This time, with my varietys of Cochins, I am curious about how their colors develop and also when they might begin to lay. It seems the banties are maturing faster than the LF. Has anyone else experienced that?

Well, it has been interesting to me to kind of watch when everyone is beginning as all of my pullets I have hatched either via incubator or broody mama so I know that from day one I know the conditions have been similar if not identical for them all so the biggest variable in POL is the breed. I am not a records keeper but it seems like with every hatch I have something that intrigues me. This time, with my varietys of Cochins, I am curious about how their colors develop and also when they might begin to lay. It seems the banties are maturing faster than the LF. Has anyone else experienced that?

I haven't noticed that. My difference has always been light egg layers versus dual purpose versus meat bird breeds. My light egg layers (such as the blue egg layers from UofA were very young. My heritage dual purpose were always the latest. My absolute oldest birds were actually my OEGB's. They were also my worst layers. My most reliable other than the leghorn descendants were my Buttercup bantams from UofA. If they didn't lay small eggs, I probably would have had them as my primary flock. Great mamas, early and very reliable layers, great foragers and very efficient feed conversion because of it. None of the cocks were ever people aggressive, but they were great flock birds. Just my 2 cents. Someone else may have had different experiences. My only meat birds I ever raised started laying about 18 to 20 weeks so right in the middle of the pack.

I haven't noticed that. My difference has always been light egg layers versus dual purpose versus meat bird breeds. My light egg layers (such as the blue egg layers from UofA were very young. My heritage dual purpose were always the latest. My absolute oldest birds were actually my OEGB's. They were also my worst layers. My most reliable other than the leghorn descendants were my Buttercup bantams from UofA. If they didn't lay small eggs, I probably would have had them as my primary flock. Great mamas, early and very reliable layers, great foragers and very efficient feed conversion because of it. None of the cocks were ever people aggressive, but they were great flock birds. Just my 2 cents. Someone else may have had different experiences. My only meat birds I ever raised started laying about 18 to 20 weeks so right in the middle of the pack.
frow.gif
Thanks for your two cents. Good to see you! Are you allowed to go to the fairs this year?

I'm technically not supposed to be around any form of poultry. I need to find out exactly how strictly they mean that to be enforced. I'm not sure how you would enforce it because if I go to the Coop to pick up dog food, seeds, etc. I'm being exposed to possible sources of contagion.

How are things going your way?

I'm technically not supposed to be around any form of poultry. I need to find out exactly how strictly they mean that to be enforced. I'm not sure how you would enforce it because if I go to the Coop to pick up dog food, seeds, etc. I'm being exposed to possible sources of contagion.

How are things going your way?
Going good. I' raising up two batches of Cochin chicks and loosing my mind with the colors and trying to decide which of the 8 boys I want to keep. LOL.

Ditto on the bio-security. I am Poultry superintendent for our fair and we have a wide open barn. There is no way for me to make people come in through a decontamination spot. There is no way to close off the barn. We will just have some type of notices posted that they should be sure to decontaminate before coming in contact with their own poultry. All the 4H kids were required to go through a class but it's the parents that are always the issue anyway. I haven't heard much about the flu this year, the press has other diseases (including politicians) to focus on I guess.
lau.gif

Come see us if you think you can. Poultry is in night of the 24-27th.

Going good. I' raising up two batches of Cochin chicks and loosing my mind with the colors and trying to decide which of the 8 boys I want to keep. LOL.

Ditto on the bio-security. I am Poultry superintendent for our fair and we have a wide open barn. There is no way for me to make people come in through a decontamination spot. There is no way to close off the barn. We will just have some type of notices posted that they should be sure to decontaminate before coming in contact with their own poultry. All the 4H kids were required to go through a class but it's the parents that are always the issue anyway. I haven't heard much about the flu this year, the press has other diseases (including politicians) to focus on I guess.
lau.gif

Come see us if you think you can. Poultry is in night of the 24-27th.

Will do. Good luck! I know everyone always wants to put their hands in and feel the birds. EE!! We haven't heard much of anything on avian flu, but it doesn't run during the heat. It is a cool weather if I remember correctly.

Will do. Good luck! I know everyone always wants to put their hands in and feel the birds. EE!! We haven't heard much of anything on avian flu, but it doesn't run during the heat. It is a cool weather if I remember correctly.
We didn't get Pullet Chain until May this year. They wanted to wait until most of the birds were out of the migration Fly ways to see how much it was going to spread. I doubt I will be collecting many eggs during the fair.
sad.png

I have some that make a lot of noise before, some make it right after and some are realatively silent.

At what age have you all experienced your girls begining to lay? I have had different experiences with different breeds. Earliest were 3 and 1/2 months old and I think latest were almost 6 months old. I have my young Cochins and I noticed the banty is getting a bit red in the face and the LF girl is kind of flushing more. They are 3 months plus so who knows. The boys have decided they are old enough to try to mate so maybe they know something I don't.
That's usually a good sign that they are just about ready.

Yes, I am suspicious about my one tiny banty. All the boys like her, unfortunatly, not all the boys are banty. Her face has had more color of late. But, they are just coming up on 14 weeks old. Seems early to me but can't control nature!
idunno.gif

All my cockerels and pullets (but 2) are about 18 weeks old yet. I think it will be a few more weeks but my little hormone crazed boys have been riding my girls for about a month and even attempt each other if I have the girls locked up. They also jump on my 2 littlest ( 10 weeks old) girls. I'm thinking it doesn't make any difference if the girls are ready to lay or not.

Back
Top Bottom