Arkansas folks speak up.........

Egg laying has begun here! 5 of my 8 hens are laying every day and out of my three Pekin ducks I get atleast one egg a day from them. Out of the 10 bantams I bought I have 8 remaining, One passed the day we got them and last night one went missing out of the brooder, i looked every where but no luck. Then all 5 of my Americaunas are growing so big!!!! I have fell in love with my single silkie but I think out of the 8 bantams that I have atleast 3 roosters, I guess that generally happens in a straight run. We have 4 new meat rabbits too! one californian and 3 New zealands. I just love them! I really want to add some more ducks to the flock but I can't decide yet lol! So one question tho: How do I get one of my hens to become broody, They are officially a year old but none feel the need to sit on eggs. I suck at incubating so a broody hen is my only chance lol! Any ideas?

Egg laying has begun here! 5 of my 8 hens are laying every day and out of my three Pekin ducks I get atleast one egg a day from them. Out of the 10 bantams I bought I have 8 remaining, One passed the day we got them and last night one went missing out of the brooder, i looked every where but no luck. Then all 5 of my Americaunas are growing so big!!!! I have fell in love with my single silkie but I think out of the 8 bantams that I have atleast 3 roosters, I guess that generally happens in a straight run. We have 4 new meat rabbits too! one californian and 3 New zealands. I just love them! I really want to add some more ducks to the flock but I can't decide yet lol! So one question tho: How do I get one of my hens to become broody, They are officially a year old but none feel the need to sit on eggs. I suck at incubating so a broody hen is my only chance lol! Any ideas?
I read this somewhere else and its ment as a joke but the response was making a hen go broody is like making a woman do something she doesn't want just don't work broody is a hormonal thing and can't be forced some hens are better broodies than others that's for sure

Last edited:
I read this somewhere else and its ment as a joke but the response was making a hen go broody is like making a woman do something she doesn't want just don't work broody is a hormonal thing and can't be forced some hens are better broodies than others that's for sure
Ya I guess so. Well my hens can "decide" at any time to go broody! LOL!

Incubation most people over think it I get my temp at 99.5 and let it cook turn em 3 times a day I don't even individually turn eggs I do what I call a domino shuffle I don't mess with humidity till the 18th day then I fill all the resevors in btm of incubator and let it go right now I'm experimenting with tilting the whole incubator lockdown for those eggs is Friday so I will see how that works

I think it would be easier for me to handle if I knew how to incubate! I have tried 3 times and absolutely no success.

Check out the January Incubation Seminar with Dr. Kieth Bramwell. Then buy a Genesis Hovabator incubator. All you do is fill the water trough in the middle, set the eggs in the turner and wait till they hatch!

http://vimeo.com/40180319

1588 Genesis Hova-Bator

1588%202012.jpg

The GENESIS Hova-Bator is TUV LISTED. This certification along with the safety afforded by its 12 Volt system makes it perfect for use in classroom and laboratory settings. It is pre-set for bird eggs. Simply plug it in, then add water for humidity and eggs. While the thermostat set temperature can easily be fine tuned, most users won’t find it necessary. The LCD will display set temp, actual temp and humidity percentage in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The pre-set microprocessor based thermostat digitally regulates itself. The digital technology in this thermostat means the command setting is never affected by changes in humidity, temperature or dust. Built in sensors prevent the “burn up” of eggs. Like all incubators, the GENESIS requires a stable room temperature and should not be used in areas like sheds or barns. Excellent for classrooms, novices, and experts. Thermostat can be set to any temperature required for bird eggs and can also be set for reptile eggs down to 80F provided that the room temperature is low enough to allow it. Includes picture window & plastic bottom liner. TURNER SOLD SEPARATELY. 1588 - 12 Volt DC power supply operates on 100 to 240 Volt AC . Only U.S. plug & cord set supplied. Input: AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz 1.5A Output 3000mA 12Volt Without an automatic turner in place, the incubator will hold 50 duck or chicken eggs or 130 quail eggs. Dimensions 18 1/2” x 18 1/2” x 9 1/2”

Price $134.95

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

1611 Automatic Egg Turner w/ 6 Universal Egg Racks

1611%202012.jpg

During incubation, eggs must be turned several times a day to prevent the yolk from settling on one side and to exercise the embryo. Turning the eggs by hand is the most time demanding and time consuming part of egg incubation. Specifications: Turner holds a total of six egg racks. Each Universal Egg Rack holds eggs any size from a partridge egg up to duck eggs (total 41 eggs per turner). 15'' x 15'' x 3'', 110 Volt AC (220 Volt available for export). CAN BE USED WITH ALL HOVA-BATOR INCUBATORS.

Price $51.98

my tilted incubator put a piece of glass under it because just tilting the incubator caused to much of a temp drop also experimenting with number of eggs I can put in have 80 eggs in a 48 egg incubator pointy end down

Back
Top Bottom