Arkansas folks speak up.........

Hi from Pine Bluff, Arkansas! Got my first 8 hens this past spring and am totally hooked! Before getting chickens, I was completely terrified of ALL birds! I have been learning from this forum slowly for a bit now but decided I should post and say hello to my neighbors! :)

Hi from Pine Bluff, Arkansas! Got my first 8 hens this past spring and am totally hooked! Before getting chickens, I was completely terrified of ALL birds! I have been learning from this forum slowly for a bit now but decided I should post and say hello to my neighbors! :)
frow.gif
Welcome! Glad you stuck your head in.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

What kind of birds do you have?

:frow   Welcome!  Glad you stuck your head in.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

What kind of birds do you have?
Honestly, I don't even know! Three were from tsc and are black and gold looking and the other five were given to me at a yard sale. Three white and two red! This isn't the best pic but the only one I could find with them all together.

Nice looking flock. Hard to say but my guess would be red and black sexlinks, 2 white leghorns and not sure about the heavy looking white one. Curious about what others might guess.

They look happy. That's the most important thing. :)

Welcome to our little group
wee.gif
I have a few hens and a Rooster. I also have a few Silkies.

I love having them. I hope that you enjoy this site as much as I have.
yippiechickie.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC and the Arkansas thread.

sorry I didn't mean to just quote Mrs.Bachbach. I think this thought is more accurate with my hens. I don't see the molting,but my hens arent fat,a although they can freely eat the scratch with layer pellets. They mainly free range. I'll recheck the their boxes for varments. Earlier I heard some girls squawking like they were ready to lay. Looked and still nothing. I checked the entire yard.Just how long can they hold out and not lay?

They can wait til next spring without extra daylight. I would take the scratch out of the feed though. Just give them that on occasion. You should wait til they molt and get their new feathers back in (extra protein helps) then try adding a light to the coop if you want eggs earlier in the season. Put a small warm spectrum light on a timer and gradually add light each week until yu get to about 14 hours of daylight. That should get them laying in a few weeks. Best to have the light come on earlier in the morning hours than keeping it on when they go to roost. If you add light in the evening, the birds tend to go to roost later in the evening. Not good to be out late for free range birds since predators start hunting about an hour before dusk.

Back
Top Bottom