Arkansas folks speak up.........

Yep. A totally unexpected one at that. We got two alpacas in April and they were NOT supposed to be bred. Wrong. Now we are keeping an eye on the other one to see if we have two surprises.

New here from Havana. Have only had chickens since June. They were supposed to be 3 months old then but they still aren't laying.

New here from Havana. Have only had chickens since June. They were supposed to be 3 months old then but they still aren't laying.

Well, they may be getting close to laying. Daylight has been steadily getting shorter on them. Waiting for birds to lay in the fall months takes patience. Always best for the pullet to fully develop before laying. Some breeds take longer to start laying than others also. Sickness or stress will keep them from laying also. Barring any illness in the flock I'm sure you will get something in the next month. I've have a bunch of pullets I'm waiting on too and don't expect anything until maybe Dec. Mine are a little younger.

Welcome from the Northwest corner, glad you found us.

I’ve had pullets start laying at 16 weeks, I’ve had some wait over 9 months to start. A couple of times I’ve had pullets start laying the first week of December, the shortest days of the year. There are a lot of different theories about when they should start, but the reality is that they lay when they lay. Sure hope that’s soon for you.

Welcome from Ozark. I've had sex links start as young as 14 weeks. Currently I have cochins that I am waiting on and I am told to expect them to start at 5-7 months. We just hit 5 months and currently nothing. New pullets, not laying. Older hens, molting. 19 girls and no eggs. I am not adding extra light as mine are more pets than production and I think they deserve to follows their natural cycle

Good luck. Hope yours begin to lay soon

Hey guys! I've really been enjoying my stay in Springdale, Arkansas! I have the weekend off so I have been doing a bit of exploring. Today, I went hiking outside of Fayetteville with a friend who is down here and then stopped for lunch in the center of Fayetteville, which was very nice. I may go see a movie tonight. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been learning a ton about the broiler business. So far it's been a great experience! I also got to visit Tennessee and Missouri. Next week, I'm going to Louisiana and Texas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom