Arkansas folks speak up.........

Thanks!

Are there any others on here in the NEA area? I'm needing hatching eggs and can't seem to find any local. Planning to set my incubator up for a 2nd grade class so they can learn all about incubation, chick development and hatching.

I'm in NEA and I may have some eggs for you that you could use, depending on the amount. They would be Phoenix crossed with leghorns, marans, BO's or fayoumis though. Nothing purebred.

Last edited:
Good morning! I'm new to chickens and live in NWA, I have 6 Isa Browns I'm thinking about 4 weeks. I am waiting for them to be completely feathered before I put them in the coop. Once they are fully feathered they should be fine in our Arkansas weather without a heat lamp right?

Yep. I’d suggest at five weeks looking at out ten day forecast. Just getting by tomorrow morning should be enough but, not knowing your set-up and all that, five weeks age should be plenty safe.

We are getting a lot of new people on here lately, which I consider great. In case I haven’t greeted you yet, welcome. It’s good to have new people on here, just join in and have fun.

@whatthecluck24
Welcome! I'm from the Fayetteville area. Close to Lake Wedington
1f60a.png

@ridgerunner

I bought a coop from Tsc. then a pen around that for them to run around during the day.

@pioneerchick816
I'm in West fay.

Last edited:
I think you will be fine next week with that. A quick look at my set-up.

This is an overall. The Grow-out coop is at the right, the main coop is in the background, and a small holding pen is inside the electric netting.

This is my Grow-out coop, a 4’ x 8’. Good wind protection this time of the year but with great ventilation up high. An 8’ x 14’ section of the main run is fenced off for them. There are thirteen 9-week-olds in it right now. I regularly put 5-week-old chicks in here, even with temperatures a bit below freezing.

This is the 4’ x 8’ holding pen that I currently have a broody and 9 chicks hatched last Sunday night. We had a frost last night, the broody kept the chicks plenty warm.

Then another shot showing that pen in the run for the broody and the main coop in back. I closed off an 8’ x 12’ section of that shed for the main coop.

Forgot to mention, I'm outside Prairie Grove.

Last edited:
@Ridgerunner
That looks great! Lots of room. I will post pics of our set up once I get one more section of run up & ready. We built another(lower to the ground) coop for my meaties to be in at night. It was quite the pain last year. Towards the end, they sat their fat butts down & wouldn't walk up the ramp at night. So there I am lifting 30 FAT birds into the coop
1f644.png
1f923.png

I'm just before the Savoy turn off, off of highway 16

Last edited:
Hi all! New to this thread but not BYC...live in Jonesboro and have had chickens for going on 4 years now I believe....currently 10 total plus 2 dogs and a rabbit

Good morning! I'm new to chickens and live in NWA, I have 6 Isa Browns I'm thinking about 4 weeks. I am waiting for them to be completely feathered before I put them in the coop. Once they are fully feathered they should be fine in our Arkansas weather without a heat lamp right?

Welcome to both of you.

Sorry if I've missed anyone else that is new. Just a big welcome to all.

Back
Top Bottom