Arkansas folks speak up.........

My test to see if a hen is really broody is that she spends two consecutive nights on the nest instead of in her normal roosting place.

To me you have three options. Give her fertile eggs to hatch, give her some day-old chicks to raise, or break her from being broody. What do you want to do? Let us know and we can give you details.

Ok, so the last 2 nights she has stayed on the nest. We put her on the roost last night, but checked on her later and she went back in the nest. So, sounds like she is definitely Broody. We appreciate any information or feedback on how we need to handle. We don't want any babies, so if there's a way to break her from being broody, that would be our pick. Thank you!!

The way I use to break a broody hen is to put her into an elevated cage with a wire bottom for three days and nights. The air flow under her seems to help. She gets food and water but nothing that she can use as a nest. Three days and nights is almost always enough, but if she goes back to the nest when I let her out I do it again.

I have a couple of broody busters I use. One is a wire bottomed brooder in the coop and the other is my wire bottomed grow out coop. One time, when both of these were full, I hung a wire dog cage in the coop.

I have no idea what might be available for you but to me the wire bottom cage is as easy and fool-proof as it gets.

My father lives in Grannis.
1f60a.png

I wish one of my girls would go broody. I would slip some chicks under her. They do such a good job at raising chicks. I have 5 chicks in a brooder now. They are about 3 or 4 weeks old now. Hopefully they will be feathered out enough to put outside soon. I'm keeping them in an unheated garage now with a light. No heat so they are feathering out pretty quick. They huddle when it's cool and I put a cover over it. I have a small covered pen for them outside when they are feathered more. I can put a tarp over the entirety of it on cool nights but that shouldn't be too long now.

Late night post before going to bed. :)

Does anyone here use sand in the coop and run?

I've been reading up on this and like what I've read so far. I just haven't found anything about how it does in Arkansas.

We just had our first broody hatch! Six beautiful Olive Egger chicks.
1f60d.png
2764.png
1f60d.png

I need help! We're looking to add turkeys ASAP. Does anyone in or near the Ft. Smith area have poults for sale? I'd love to not have them shipped!

Back
Top Bottom