Arkansas Hail Storm Injuries! Advice Please!

I would give as much fluid as they will take each time, just go slowly so that they don't aspirate any. You can also tube fluids if needed, to make it easier to get enough in them each time, and it would be faster. Amounts based on weight, covered in the link below.
With these kind of injuries, time and patience is needed, recovery may be slow. The vitamins often help. Keep them in a warm, quiet place, give them support, time will tell. It's often very hard to know exactly how they may have been hurt. If needed, to help keep them upright, you can use a chicken sling for periods, or roll up some bath towels to put around them to help prop them up.
Links on tubing and pictures of some chicken slings below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...res-under-construction.1064392/#post-16201671
View attachment 3556256
View attachment 3556259
View attachment 3556262
View attachment 3556265
View attachment 3556271
Thanks for these. I think they will both need a sling.

Update on the girls. They are progressing. Lavender Orpington can move one leg and a toe on the other. Buff Brahma is starting to lift her head a little but just spins in circles. I am giving them both electrolytes, B12 complex and vitamin E. They both seem to be eating on their own. I think the the Buff Brahma will be able to go back into the flock in a few days, I'm not sure about the orpington. She just can't stand on her feet and her progress is so slow. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 20230627_080544.jpg
    20230627_080544.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230627_081352.jpg
    20230627_081352.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 10
I'm glad that your birds are doing a little better. Make sure your B complex also contains thiamine and riboflavin, those are important for neuromuscular healing. Time is the greatest healer, so hopefully with time they will make a full recovery. Even small progress is good!

Again, B12 is not B complex, just b12 or colbalamin. B complex has all b vitamins, and the important ones for chicken ps is riboflavin and thiamine. Read the label to see if that is what you have. Great advice about the slings.

Again, B12 is not B complex, just b12 or colbalamin. B complex has all b vitamins, and the important ones for chicken ps is riboflavin and thiamine. Read the label to see if that is what you have. Great advice about the slings.
Sorry it's not B12 -- it's Super Vitamin B-Complex. Does this look okay?

Attachments

• Bcomplex.jpg
    Bcomplex.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 11
1 Week Update - the Buff Brahma has been integrated with the flock. She won't roost but if I place her on the lowest rung, she'll stay. Hopefully, that too will improve with time.

Lavender Orpington is making minor improvements. I'm continuing B Complex, Vit E, Electrolytes and 15 mg aspirin for pain, but not sure if that's helping.
Since I don't know exactly the injury other than large hail and both legs were effected. Left leg is improving quicker -- but right leg is still mostly stretched backwards. When I move it to under her body, she'll sit on it for approx 5 minutes.

If you have ideas or encouragement. I'd appreciate it.
Like how long will recovery take? (I have and out of town trip in 11 days and will worry like crazy about her.)
What else can I do to help her?

Attachments

• 1688404285144.png
    1688404285144.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
It's very hard to predict recovery times, particularly since we don't know exactly the injury. Progress is good though. I think you are doing all you can. Hopefully you have someone to care for her while you are gone that is trustworthy and responsible. I know how hard it is to find someone that truly understands the needs of birds, been there.

Back
Top Bottom