Arkansas Hail Storm Injuries! Advice Please!

OzarkNana

Chirping
Apr 20, 2022
The Ozarks
That storm yesterday took out 1/2 my small flock. Two were killed right away, 2 are very injured. I brought them inside overnight, this morning one can't stand and the other can't hold her head up and she falls sideways when she walks. I'm thinking the first has a spinal injury or something. I don't know why the other can't hold her head up.
Does it sound like will they improve am I prolonging the inevitable? My vet isn't open yet, but I have a call in!
I'm not sure why they didn't run into the coop, but maybe because it's got a metal roof. :(

Attachments

• 20230625_165140.jpg
    20230625_165140.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 20230625_165816.jpg
    20230625_165816.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 20
Sorry for your loss. It's possible they all ran around in a panic due to the noise of the hail hitting the roof. I'm not helpful in the healing area but hopefully soon someone with experience will see your post.
Keeping them warm, dry and in a quiet place is all I can think of.

So sorry for your loss. I would try to make the 2 survivors comfortable. Offer water with electrolytes up to beaks to drink on own or drip some into beaks. Watery chicken feed made fresh could be given to increase fluids. Vitamin E 400 IU can help with neck injuries. I’m sure once the hail storm started, they were scared and did not know what to do. When winds and storms approach, we usually get the animals inside to safety, but that may nit always be possible.

So sorry for your loss. I would try to make the 2 survivors comfortable. Offer water with electrolytes up to beaks to drink on own or drip some into beaks. Watery chicken feed made fresh could be given to increase fluids. Vitamin E 400 IU can help with neck injuries. I’m sure once the hail storm started, they were scared and did not know what to do. When winds and storms approach, we usually get the animals inside to safety, but that may nit always be possible.
Thanks for the ideas. One is eating/drinking but can't stand. I'm not sure if there is more I can do for her. She seems comfortable.
What do you do for electrolytes? I already add HVC to their water, is there something else?
Is the Vit E oral or topical?
Sorry, for so many questions, but I'm still kinda new at this.

Electrolytes can be a bit of sugar and salt in some water. Vit E would be oral.
Can you tell if there are any leg/foot injuries?
There are no visible injuries on any of them. The one with leg injury is chirping, eating and drinking but won't use her feet at all. Can you tell me how much Vit E? I have a Vit E oil 28,000 IU.

There are no visible injuries on any of them. The one with leg injury is chirping, eating and drinking but won't use her feet at all. Can you tell me how much Vit E? I have a Vit E oil 28,000 IU.
I found this:
give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. A little treat of egg has sufficient selenium, so give her egg daily. You can find E and B-Complex at stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. in the vitamin aisle.
Hope that's helpful.

Ok will get the vitamins. She's barely drinking when I drop into her mouth. How much is enough?
These girls are 8 weeks old. I should have said that in my 1st post.

Attachments

• 20230626_082843.jpg
    20230626_082843.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230626_095150.jpg
    20230626_095150.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 8
I would give as much fluid as they will take each time, just go slowly so that they don't aspirate any. You can also tube fluids if needed, to make it easier to get enough in them each time, and it would be faster. Amounts based on weight, covered in the link below.
With these kind of injuries, time and patience is needed, recovery may be slow. The vitamins often help. Keep them in a warm, quiet place, give them support, time will tell. It's often very hard to know exactly how they may have been hurt. If needed, to help keep them upright, you can use a chicken sling for periods, or roll up some bath towels to put around them to help prop them up.
Links on tubing and pictures of some chicken slings below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...res-under-construction.1064392/#post-16201671
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4.jpg

DIY-Plastic-Bin-Chicken-Sling.jpg

sling.jpg

Back
Top Bottom