Around what time do your ducks lay eggs?

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
I have only gotten 3 or 4 eggs from my ducks. My pot bellied pigs get them first. I am planning to move my 2 pekins to another area at night. Maybe with the goats or lock them in the chicken coop area at night. Do they lay usually in the early morning?

I am gettin 9 to 10 eggs a day now from my ducks and they lay before 8 a.m. They are busy as all get out quacking and shoving one another out of the nests trying to get their work done before I open the gate to the grass and bug area...

I have a night time duck yard with a pretty big shelter in which the nests are located...I leave that door open so they come and go at will...the yard and house are wrapped in three strands of electric wire...two strands on the bottom and one on top...I have had no predation since installing the hot wire...the night yard is also where all the pools are (3) and two other large water stations...they all know to go to the night yard when it is time to close the gate and turn on the electric...I get behind them and tell them it is bed time and 40 some ducks and 16 geese file into the night yard...it is so darn cute...in the morning when I go to let them into the daytime grassy yard they honk and quack and shove and push and mill around and when I open the gate it is a mad dash like someone yelled "FIRE!" or something...they are really a fun and funny little group...

Duck walk . Any pictures of your set up? Sounds great? My ducks,chickens, and pot bellied pigs go to bed in the chicken run/coop. The chickens jump over a small wall to roost and lay eggs in their nest boxes in the coop. Pigs and ducks can not get over the small wall, that is the problem. Ducks lay eggs for the pigs in the run.

sandy sea...I will take updated pics later...maybe tomorrow...it is pouring out right now...I do have a few of the grassy daytime yard I can do not...I have reworked the old chicken coop for the ducks as I have very few chickens now due to predation...I trapped 11 'possoms and filled a fox butt with two rounds of buckshot the night after he killed two drakes and ate 14 goose eggs...the day after that, we installed the electric and I have had no further problems...there was the regular wire fencing that we added the electric to...the flock in their day time yard...

DSCN3321.jpg

day yard with duck house and night yard in the back ground

DSCN2801.jpg

there are no chickens in there any more and the night yard is hot wired...

Last edited:
Mine lay before 6. I just have the ducks, so no competition for the eggs. I have two strands of hot wire around the duckhouse and "veranda," a hardware-cloth-wrapped 4'x8' pen attached to the house.

Back
Top Bottom