Arrgg. Crazy chicken sitter.

A story, then a few thoughts.

My parents were newspaper people, so I was generally raised and went to school in large cities. I count myself blessed to have spent most of my summers on the farm in central Ohio where my mother grew up, pitching in to help my grandfather and his father with haying, cultivating, and taking the wheat off. Animal husbandry would have included (always) hogs and chickens, and (most years) the annual beef critter. About the time I hit my teens, there'd be a cold-weather, week-long trip to the farm to help Grandpa with the butchering. The story that may be helpul here, though, is of the earlier years.

Grandpa was a farmer all his life. At some point, though, he looked around and noticed that all the old home-town, general-practioner-type physicians had retired. The doctors that could paint a sore throat, lance a boil, or set a broken bone. After they were gone, it was twenty miles from our farming community to any kind of medical help, routine or emergency. Grandpa, recognizing that, got on with the Kiwanis, and set about on a project to find funding to build a community health facility and recruit a couple of doctors to the (then) emerging field of family practice. As the project progressed, it came to take a lot of his time.

I recall the summer I was 11 years old. I said one thing and did another that (I never intended either) brought a tear of pride to the old boy's loving eye. The first was the day that I remarked that I thought it was pretty cool that he looked as comfortable, and was the same guy, whether he was dolled up in a pin-stripe suit or totin' hundred-pound grain bags on his shoulder dressed in his denim bibs. The other was the day he got back from a meeting about the health center project. He always scheduled those to be able to get home in time to do the feeding before supper. He was running late that day and rushed upstairs to change when he got home. I caught him at the back door, and let him know that the evening chores were all done. He looked at me a little askance, so I ran down the checklist, walked him through a report of what I did that mirrored his own routine.. Sows and pigs all tended to -- ear corn, feed bunk had plenty. Boar grained and the customary ration of ear corn. Pet pony fed. Eggs gathered, washed, graded and in their crates in the cellar. Everyone's water in good shape. He couldn't quite believe I'd picked up the drill, and tossed out a couple of small things he always checked on while he was about the chores, and I filled him on my observations of those same details. It was a pretty proud day for both of us.

It's those last details Grandpa questioned that I wanted to get to regarding your questions. We all have our drills/routines that we've gotten into to take the best care we can of the animals that rely on us. We all go about it differently in our own ways, and Grandpa's skepticism that I had gotten it done the way he would was justifiable. That I did have everything done "his way" was a joint accomplishment, for him being the sort to share the little details by way of teaching me, and me being the kind to pay attention and learn. From that time (even though I was too young to get any further off the farm than my bicycle could take me), we had a trust that I would be there to take care of the evening chores so that he wouldn't have to break off a meeting about the health center to get home to do them. We never had to say a word about it after that. If he wasn't home far enough ahead of suppertime to get the chores done, he could trust that I'd see to them.

Point is, chicken sitting is like babysitting, or me tending to Grandpa's animals. We each have our ways. You mentioned that your sitter has been been farming for some number of years. I have an idea (especially after her question about brooded eggs making for chicks!!) that her experience has not included a lot of chicken time. I'm prepared to be wrong about that guess. At the same time, given other accounts I've heard/read about sitters that just don't show up and other horror stories, I'd say you're pretty fortunate to have her.

My suggestion would be to invite her over next time you have a hen go broody, show her how you toss the old girl off the clutch, and show her where the gloves will be if she needs to do the same while you're gone.

The hatchlings you'll have . ? . ? You can cull the eggs now. Or let them hatch. If any of the chicks have deformities as you cite them having had in the past, culling is a part of husbandry, whether for the good of the herd/flock, or the individual animal. Never pleasant, culling requires an odd grit of character. If it's right, the misgivings of anticipating having to do it will evolve, very quickly, to a certain relief, even a kind of comforting satisfaction, of having done what was right.

As far as your time and plans, I sense that you do have a need for the occasional sitter.

(This is where I come to dread online exchanges. Please dont misread the rest of this -- or anything said above -- as a slam on you. It's not.) You have the advantage of a sitter who actually shows up to see to feed and water and keep an eye on things. That's a BIG plus. I shouldn't expect that you'd ever have the kind of relationship with her that I had with my grandfather, but if you expect her to deal with a broody hen in your absence as you would on your own, she needs an understanding of what you are aiming for and how you go about it. Share that kind of thing with her (and show her where the gloves are if they're needed), and I expect she'll be even more reliable for you than she has already.

Last edited:
Thank you everybody for your replies. I guess I am being a bit harsh but I haven't said anything to her about it. The way I was thinking about it was that I'm paying her $150 a week to do this plus she taking all the eggs and when I was telling her about the other broody I clearly said to take the eggs away as I don't want more chicks.
She's done things before that I haven't appreciated. Like last time we had an alpaca that was a bit off and we told her to keep a close eye on it. She calls on a Sunday saying it's on it's last legs, it had been down yesterday and she was surprised it had lasted the night. Um, I think the time to tell me this was yesterday. So I franticly rang the vet and (as what seems to always happen to us) he was at the beach with his family and will be back at four so can go to our place then. And then of course at four i got the call saying that it had died.
he.gif
A FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAR ANIMAL that might have made it had she called the day before. And then this time we got a call from the neighbors saying that one of the alpacas had it's leg stuck in the fence ( seriously. We've had the alpacas for years and crazy stuff like this always happens while we're gone) we ended up getting a guy that lives up the road to go and get it out but while he was there he noticed there was hardly any water in the trough. So he filled it up AND came back the next day to make sure it was full. I do have a bit of a weird water set up but I can't help that. Our place is on a bit of a slope so we gravity feed water from a tank up at the front of our place. There is a leak in the pipe Somewhere close to the tank so we open the tank every few days to fill the pipes. Actually that's another thing she did, last time she left the tap thing at the base of the tank on. So of course, when we came back the tank was empty.
Anyway, I have a new neighbor that is also into chickens. I haven't properly introduced myself yet but it's on my list of things to do when I get back tomorrow. So maybe we might be able to chicken sit for each other.

editted... just read about the alpaca... yea.. I wouldn't have her back. I would inform her the alpaca was 5k. And next time she pet sits when an animal is sick she needs to do something aobut it (at the very least call the owner) ASAP.

Last edited:
Okay. Now that you've added her history to include the lost alpaca, and leaving the critters without water . . . why would you trust her with the keys?!?!? never mind your livestock.

You don't say if your travel is for work or leisure. Either way, if you can't work out a satisfactory arrangement with your neighbor-with-chickens, you may need to re-evaluate whether you can balance your travels with the demands of keeping animals. You may have to cut back on one, the other, or both to find a balance that works.

At least your chickens are alive. I left my sister to chicken sit when I went down to Florida. Four hours into the trip she calls to say her dog got out and attacked the duck. I was like
th.gif
and
he.gif
Good help is so hard to find. Then I told her instruction on how to care for it, I got home and the poor thing was outside still and was infested with maggots...
sickbyc.gif
It took about three weeks inside and quite a few warm baths for the thing to heal enough I felt comfortable to leave him outside.

But after everything I just read, yeah time to get a new sitter.

I had a pet sitting business for 10 + years. Had this woman been an employee she would have been fired. No question. The point of being a good pet sitter is to follow the instructions of the owner. We looked after the members of several small farms in the area as well as the usual domestic pets. I never met an owner who minded a call with questions or concerns! Sometimes the response was '...do what you think is best...'.

OP - You should have gotten some message that she was afraid of the chicken - or I can't get the eggs , what should I do? The alpaca - Finding out from a neighbor that an animal is in trouble? Not acceptable!

That being said, finding a good pet sitter is not easy. The hardest part of having that business was finding good employees - including weeding out those who "knew best" for everyone elses pets.

Would you keep an accountant who got your taxes right most of the time? So why have a sitter who keeps your pets mostly okay?

JMO

(edited for spelling
sad.png
)

Last edited:
navisima
bow.gif

I'm not exactly one to settle for second best. ESPECIALLY when it comes to my animals.
How did your pet sitting business go? After all this I'm thinking I might start up one myself
lol.png

This lady and her husband were sheep(not 100% sure) farmers and the husband was a shearer. Do you guys reckon that's why they're so blasé about it all?

Yeah.... an animal getting stuck(leg in the fence) is a flukey thing, not anybody's fault, but not to call you when an animal is down? Especially already knowing it was 'off'? Unforgivable in my book. I'd stay home rather than have that person looking in on the critters.

Back
Top Bottom