Arrrgghh! **COMPLETELY off-topic rant**

That's Microsoft World Domination System for ya.
As much as I hate MS anything, I find it hard to go to MAC. I THINK MAC has programs that support all MSword formats....I "THINK". It may be worth your while to check it out anyway.

I'm surprised it even let you have two versions of Word on there in the first place. Usually it delets it as soon as you install 2007.

UNIX is the other option. It has programs that will read word format but not sure if it goes both ways.

Good luck!

Quote:
Possible, but doubtful. M$ is famous for deleting its own software as 'malicious', so the OP's guess is probably dead on.

As for Macs yea, people love them, I absolutely hate them. I can fix anything that might (read the word might, I just don't have many problems with my boxes) happen, but those darned Macs are inscrutable - and don't tell me nothing goes wrong with them, I've seen plenty of problems with both platforms. I'd go for the Linux suggestion except that's a whole new world of computing to learn, and I just don't have the time to relearn everything. I do use lots of open source software, though, it's great, and free!

Open source stuff is developed and supported by users all over the world, and the community of helpful folks is fantastic.

I quite agree! My problem is that I use this for work and that puts constraints on what software I use. My contracts specify that I must use MSWord and WHICH version I must use when I work. Literally hundreds of MTs can be working on that same hospital account so software conflicts really are a big deal. When the contract says MSWord 2000, no other software can be used without risk of substantial financial penalties for the MT. So I am stuck. And because I am downloading and uploading to that system all day long, I have got to protect my computer BIG TIME. But there again, only certain firewall programs are compatible with the hospital system, so I am very limited as to what my options are.

I'm really NOT complaining...just frustrated that Microsoft beat me agin! But the reinstall only took me 90 minutes this time.
wink.png
I must be getting better at it!

lol.png

Quote:
I switched over to the Cult of Mac for my home computer about 5 years ago, and haven't looked back. I started out with an iBook, and now have a MacBook. I can do pretty much anything on a Mac that one can do on a PC, but I don't have to put up with MS's ugly operating system (yes, I know, you can turn those hideous Vista themes off...ugh). My DH loves Apple computers, but has learned to put up with Windows at work; he's come to the conclusion that Windows is better for things involving servers (he's a database programmer and a big SQL Server geek) and Macs are better and friendlier for home users.

Despite my love of Mac stuff, I just use MS Office for Mac. I still think it's the best document processing software out there. You can save things as .doc/.docx and send them to Windows users just fine.

Have you tried looking for a file add-on for the file extensions that 2007 cannot read? I know I had problems with some older files and I was able to hunt down a small patch that allows me to open the old files in the new program. You might do a search for your program + the file extension name + patch in google

Count me a Mac convert. I was always using MS for work and DH used Mac and I was not convinced because of the connectivity issues with my MS employers.

Now, I won't go back. MS can't even open half of its own documents. Mac opens 'em all and they're readable. They can convert in either direction and I don't have any problems with my employers.....

Back
Top Bottom