Artichoke Poll

What do you like with your artichokes?

• Total voters
Thanks for the link. When will you be planting your seeds?

I started artichoke seeds indoors last year and the roots were insane! I think I'm going to try the root trainer pots that I start trees in this time. It's really warm here this year so I think I'm going to start them in the next week or two and just bring them in if it gets too cold. At the end of March I can put them in the soil though.

I grew artichokes 2 years ago at my newer farm in VA.
Early one March I was shocked to see Green Globe starts out at my local Lowe's and thought...Why Not?? I could not grow them on my other farm further north as I didn't have a long enough season but figured it could work here.
So I got some then, however we still had some really cold nights (low 20s) so I waited to plant. Then I got sick and ended up not being able to plant until later April /first of May.
I put them into a large raised bed and they took off and grew like crazy! Unfortunately with the late start they never got heads on them. Over winter they died back to the ground but the following spring several had survived and were trying to grow again when some new marauders, ...um I mean groundhogs, decided to eat them.

I've wanted to try them again but haven't seen the starts since that one time. My seed starting has kind of fallen by the wayside now that I live somewhere with so many good nurseries and gigantic Lowe's chock full of starts.... so the seed packet I have just sits and collects dust.

Last edited:
I grew artichokes 2 years ago at my newer farm in VA.
Early one March I was shocked to see Green Globe starts out at my local Lowe's and though...Why Not?? I could not grow them on my other farm further north as I didn't have a long enough season but figured it could work here.
So I got some then, however we still had some really cold nights (low 20s) so I waited to plant. Then I got sick and ended up not being able to plant until later April /first of May.
I put them into a large raised bed and they took off and grew like crazy! Unfortunately with the late start they never got heads on them. Over winter they died back to the ground but the following spring several had survived and were trying to grow again when some new marauders, ...um I mean groundhogs, decided to eat them.

I've wanted to try them again but haven't seen the starts since that one time. My seed starting has kind of fallen by the wayside now that I live somewhere with so many good nurseries and gigantic Lowe's chock full of starts.... so the seed packet I have just sits and collects dust.

That's really cool that you were able to find starts! I've never actually seen them around here. So far starting them from seed has been rather easy though. It's actually our blazing hot summer that seems to fry the plants or I would probably still have them growing because our winter was so mild.

I enjoy trying some pretty unusual varieties of plants and that often leaves me starting with seeds. It's always interesting to find what grows best in different climates! It was certainly easier gardening in California than here in Georgia though...

I enjoy trying some pretty unusual varieties of plants and that often leaves me starting with seeds. It's always interesting to find what grows best in different climates! It was certainly easier gardening in California than here in Georgia though...
Same here. My gardens before were huge at the other farm and I had room to try or grow anything I wanted. I loved trying lots of things from seed, aided by the fact that local starts were dismal and the big box stores were pitiful.
About blew my mind the first spring I was here and found varieties of things I didn't even know about. Unfortunately I now only have about 1/10 the garden space and I live on a steep red clay ridge. Gardening is...um...challenging... 🥴:fl ...but at least my roses like it here.
Brings new meaning to the phrase "lots of soil amendments"

Let me guess...Georgia.... you probably have some clay and acidity down your way too? And yeah, blazing baking hot sun. (I used to live just over the line in SC years ago)

I grew up eating them with mayo, also like them with butter... but the fresh ones may be off the menu now that I can't have fats :hit.

Back
Top Bottom