Article in Backyard Poultry

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrsgibber, Apr 1, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I read an article where someone with chickens uses a radio to keep the predators away. They keep in on 24/7 and tune it to different stations now and again.

Has anyone here tried this? I wonder how much the noise would bother the chickens when they are trying to sleep at night.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I haven't tried this but have thought of it as I'm new to chickens. I'm also as gross as this sounds thinking of using urine. I remember in the movie CRY WOLF a documentary type film where the guy drank a whole pot of tea and them ran around the perimeter of his camp peeing on everything to signal to the wolves to stay away.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    a lot of people play music to calm chickens... Heavy metal may not work. But i know we used to use Country, and old rock stations

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not as gross or bizarre as it may seem. I take my irish wolfhound around the areas my chickens free range and my SO ut hum "contributes" when the mood strikes him. [​IMG]

5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    My aunt uses a radio just as company for her horses. Coyotes still come right up to her stables and barn, so I would question the effectiveness of it. Still, there's no harm in trying, unless you're like me and can't stand constant noise coming out of radios and televisions. [​IMG]

There used to be a guy living next to my aunt who set up speakers that would play the sound of a gunshot every 20 minutes or so. It was LOUD, just as loud as an actual gun, and drove my aunt nuts, and me too when I was over there, even though I found it less annoying than the radio (at least the gunshots wouldn't play constantly). He moved away, but while he lived there there were no coyote problems.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I have read about this, and funny thing....lol.

They say that women's urine works best. I don't know why.

Here in the Uk we do have a few hawks around but no wolves, but the biggest problem we face is from foxes wandering around at night.

I have seriously thought about keeping a bucket in the house and maybe using that. Anybody heard more about this?

Yes I am a fuddy duddy but if it would add to the security of my girls I would give it a try. We have been lucky so far but people across the road fromme have lost chickens to foxes.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Because we're meaner.

8. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I sued to work in animal control and music works really well for getting unwanted visitors like skunks,raccoons, etc to leave. If you have a skunk living under a coop or shed just put a radio under there and it will usually leave.

9. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Quote:There is a very long thread from pee users...search cyote pee and it should come up. [​IMG]

10. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I can honestly say that a radio did NOT work for me. Not having a gun, I was trying to get rid of a fox that was tormenting my 8 birds (4 ducklings/ 4 pullets about 6 weeks old). It kept coming back and I went in to get the radio. Set it up at 2:00am (who could sleep with all the worry). It was loud (talk radio) some music. Woke up at 7:00am and all 8 birds were gone. Fox dug 2 feet under the coop through spikes and chicken wire. Radio was working fine.. so I guess when they really want something, they could care less about whats going on around them. Maybe another station [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by