Article in Backyard Poultry

mrsgibber

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Bolton, CT
I read an article where someone with chickens uses a radio to keep the predators away. They keep in on 24/7 and tune it to different stations now and again.

Has anyone here tried this? I wonder how much the noise would bother the chickens when they are trying to sleep at night.

I haven't tried this but have thought of it as I'm new to chickens. I'm also as gross as this sounds thinking of using urine. I remember in the movie CRY WOLF a documentary type film where the guy drank a whole pot of tea and them ran around the perimeter of his camp peeing on everything to signal to the wolves to stay away.

Quote:
Not as gross or bizarre as it may seem. I take my irish wolfhound around the areas my chickens free range and my SO ut hum "contributes" when the mood strikes him.
wink.png

My aunt uses a radio just as company for her horses. Coyotes still come right up to her stables and barn, so I would question the effectiveness of it. Still, there's no harm in trying, unless you're like me and can't stand constant noise coming out of radios and televisions.
hmm.png

There used to be a guy living next to my aunt who set up speakers that would play the sound of a gunshot every 20 minutes or so. It was LOUD, just as loud as an actual gun, and drove my aunt nuts, and me too when I was over there, even though I found it less annoying than the radio (at least the gunshots wouldn't play constantly). He moved away, but while he lived there there were no coyote problems.

Last edited:
I have read about this, and funny thing....lol.

They say that women's urine works best. I don't know why.

Here in the Uk we do have a few hawks around but no wolves, but the biggest problem we face is from foxes wandering around at night.

I have seriously thought about keeping a bucket in the house and maybe using that. Anybody heard more about this?

Yes I am a fuddy duddy but if it would add to the security of my girls I would give it a try. We have been lucky so far but people across the road fromme have lost chickens to foxes.

Quote:
I sued to work in animal control and music works really well for getting unwanted visitors like skunks,raccoons, etc to leave. If you have a skunk living under a coop or shed just put a radio under there and it will usually leave.

I can honestly say that a radio did NOT work for me. Not having a gun, I was trying to get rid of a fox that was tormenting my 8 birds (4 ducklings/ 4 pullets about 6 weeks old). It kept coming back and I went in to get the radio. Set it up at 2:00am (who could sleep with all the worry). It was loud (talk radio) some music. Woke up at 7:00am and all 8 birds were gone. Fox dug 2 feet under the coop through spikes and chicken wire. Radio was working fine.. so I guess when they really want something, they could care less about whats going on around them. Maybe another station
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom