Hawks in Area (Michigan)

Rosieposie6

Chirping
Dec 3, 2023
Just wanted to come on here and see if anyone has suggestions on how they keep hawks away from their backyard chickens.
My neighbor txtd my husband the other day letting us know a hawk got one of their chickens so I’m super paranoid now. I’ve seen em mostly in the summer months not as much now that’s it’s colder. We do have two big scarecrows where they are at but I’m aware not everything is 100 guaranteed. Any other suggestions would be super helpful! Also my neighbors let their chickens free roam a lot in their front yard so there’s not much protection.

Welcome!
When there's a hawk attack, keep your birds in their safe coop and run for at least ten days to three weeks.
If your neighbor doesn't do this, they will be loosing a bird every few days, until their flock is gone, or they decide to keep the survivors under cover. Meanwhile, your free ranging birds will get taken also.
Scary objects need to be moved around often, and may not work anyway. Hawks can see mice in the weeds, what kind of scarecrow would work for long, if at all?
Mary

Welcome!
When there's a hawk attack, keep your birds in their safe coop and run for at least ten days to three weeks.
If your neighbor doesn't do this, they will be loosing a bird every few days, until their flock is gone, or they decide to keep the survivors under cover. Meanwhile, your free ranging birds will get taken also.
Scary objects need to be moved around often, and may not work anyway. Hawks can see mice in the weeds, what kind of scarecrow would work for long, if at all?
Mary
To be honest I would love to kill any hawk that went near my chickens but it’s illegal in Michigan 10,000 fine. So ridiculous.

It's illegal to kill any raptors anywhere in the USA, federally protected, big fine and maybe jail time. So not worth it!

It's illegal to kill any raptors anywhere in the USA, federally protected, big fine and maybe jail time. So not worth it!
Mary
Yea no I wouldn’t kill one not worth it but it does suck to have to worry about! They have a winter run we built them but it hasn’t been snowing so they’re out in the yard but I am going to put good netting above the yard now just to help keep them away! We spent way too much time and money into our chickens I would hate to see them get killed one by one by these guys!

Yeah, I would agree with @Folly's place it’s not worth it. In Canada it’s legal to kill hawks but I’ve never been able to. I would suggest cover your run with chicken wire, hang cds from it to help .
Good luck! :):)
Their run is big with a wooden roof overhead it’s when their out in the yard I’m worried so I’ll be getting bird netting for the yard!

Back
Top Bottom