Article in Backyard Poultry

The further out in the boonies you live the better the chances of something like a radio/urine working a bit longer (won't work forever) than if you are situated near higher density populations of humans.

Preds will eventually learn to salivate when they hear the music and smell the pee.

Turkeys do prefer light classical...

Last edited:
Quote:
Because we're meaner.

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
So you mean your coop was made of a dirt floor or the fox got em out of the run? Just curious.

Hello, yes, it was a dirt run. But we read that if you dig a trench around the run and put about 6 inches of chicken wire down around the base, it would deter the digging. So thats what we did and the fox actually dug up all the chicken wire and went about 2 feet deep. Now we have fort knox. Live wire running around the base about 4 inches off the ground, and we stapled chicken wire under the complete run and threw dirt over it. We also got foxwatch (don't know if it actually works) and a BB rifle (just in case). I don't plan on losing anymore birds. I kept saying I "should" of taken them in that night, but I thought with all the chicken wire around the base and the radio talking loud, oh, and I did hit the fox with a can of tomato sauce, we thought it was safe. He got his revenge. The kids were amazed about the size of the hole the ducklings dug and got away.
roll.png

Hello, yes, it was a dirt run. But we read that if you dig a trench around the run and put about 6 inches of chicken wire down around the base, it would deter the digging. So thats what we did and the fox actually dug up all the chicken wire and went about 2 feet deep. Now we have fort knox. Live wire running around the base about 4 inches off the ground, and we stapled chicken wire under the complete run and threw dirt over it. We also got foxwatch (don't know if it actually works) and a BB rifle (just in case). I don't plan on losing anymore birds. I kept saying I "should" of taken them in that night, but I thought with all the chicken wire around the base and the radio talking loud, oh, and I did hit the fox with a can of tomato sauce, we thought it was safe. He got his revenge. The kids were amazed about the size of the hole the ducklings dug and got away.

Kari

Love the part about the tomato sauce,, can't stop giggling!! Sorry

My FIL uses a radio tuned to a talk station to keep the racoons out of the sweet corn. It does seem to work. Someone turned it off or unplugged it by accident one night and the coons got half the corn. But when it is on the coons stay away.

Quote:
Yea, I couldn't believe I actually hit it on the side of the head about 30 feet away. I had a floodlight on as it was 2am. It let out a wierd squeal and took off. Thats why I have a BB gun now, although I would have probably shot all my birds because I am a terrible shot. I have the BB gun and a can of "Hunts" under the deck.
gig.gif

I have used a radio in my chicken coop 24/7 since last Spring when the raccoons killed all my pekins I had out there with my RIR. Also lost about 3 RIR to the raccoons too, this was after the coons killed my ducks. So far knock on wood I have had no problem with losing any more chickens. I have the radio on a talk radio show and when the Cubs play baseball they llisten to the game. No problem with egg laying.

Quote:
So you mean your coop was made of a dirt floor or the fox got em out of the run? Just curious.

roll.png

That's terrible. I am most worried about the girls being out during the day when I am not home. I have a fully enclosed run with the wire sunk into the ground and the top covered but I fear something will show up during the day. I just hope it is true what they say about predators not coming around until two hours after dusk and two hours before dawn when they will be tucked away in their locked coop. My husband did buy me a BB gun as well so I can play Annie Oakley should I find anyone bothering them.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom