Articulated gout in older hen/Moringa powder dose.

Gigi1983

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
Hi All,

My 5.5 year old ex-batt has severe articulated gout. She hasn't laid in years but was eating layer feed with the rest of my girls and I suspect this is the cause. I've switched her to grower feed. But now need to treat the gout. I got some moringa powder for her today as this is apparently great for gout. Does anyone know what the dose would be for 1 hen? I'm thinking maybe half a gram or something. If anyone knows or has experience with this please advise?

I don’t have any experience with that, but there are a number of articles about its use in poultry. I have no idea if this source is correct about dosage, but they have dosages listed:
https://poultrydvm.com/supplement/moringa-oleifera
Thank you @Eggcessive. Yes I had a look at this and if you break it down it works out at about 1.5 grams per hen per day. So currently giving her a half gram 3 times daily, prob better than all at once. Hope I'll see results soon, her feet are in a bad way, feel awful for her.

I saw another link for a study that used 300-500 mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) in rats. Let us know if you see improvement. The reason I wanted a picture was to see if her feet and toes were swollen and lumpy. Some people, even vets, can mistake bacterial or viral arthritis for articular gout. Here in the first post of a thread are some good pictures of gout:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gout-bumblefoot-or-treatment-see-photos.1064722/

Last edited:
I saw another link for a study that used 300-500 mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) in rats. Let us know if you see improvement. The reason I wanted a picture was to see if her feet and toes were swollen and lumpy. Some people, even vets, can mistake bacterial or viral arthritis for articular gout. Here in the first post of a thread are some good pictures of gout:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gout-bumblefoot-or-treatment-see-photos.1064722/
I'm pretty sure it's a bad case of articular gout but I'll take some pictures when I'm cleaning up her feet tonight and will post. Have been putting an antibiotic cream on it for last 6 weeks and got a full-spectrum CBD salve also and she's been getting that on it twice a day the last 10 days plus sea salt foot baths, you name it. But main thing is to treat the actual gout so fingers crossed the Moringa works. Will post pics in a bit!

Photos
20231027_214351.jpg

Attachments

• 20231027_214409.jpg
    20231027_214409.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 1
A couple of photos above. She is unsteady on her feet due to the gout and keeps sticking her toenails into the swollen areas and causing some laceration, so that's what all those black scabs are, especially that big lesion on the middle toe, that is getting the worst of it. Hard to get a pic of the foot pad but it's just red and swollen looking, no bumblefoot.

Yes, I agree, that is gout. Some people do use tart cherry extract capsules for gout, and a few people with chickens with gout have tried that as well. Not all have said that it helped though. Let us know how it works.

Yes I read about the tart cherry capsules and extract, but a lady on here had used the capsules twice a day on her rooster and they didn't work. So yeah hit and miss with them as you said. So said I'd try the moringa powder. A poultry vet from India recommended it for gout in chickens so fingers crossed because this girl is suffering, can barely stand up. Definitely, I will let you know if it does anything for her!

Yes, I agree, that is gout. Some people do use tart cherry extract capsules for gout, and a few people with chickens with gout have tried that as well. Not all have said that it helped though. Let us know how it works.
Hi there. Update on this. So today is day 7 on the Moringa powder and on day 4 I started giving her a 4th dose, so she now getting 2grams of the powder daily broken down into the 4 doses. Zero improvement yet but I've heard it can take 2 or 3 weeks. I've come across some doctors and vets plus a couple of posters on this forum who highly recommend celery seed extract for gout, so I'm going to see how she goes over the weekend and I'll add this to the mix next week if she's no better. Continuing also with the antibiotic cream and CBD salve. The struggle is real😭

Back
Top Bottom