Artificial Light and Roosting

This onky works if you are there at night when the lights go off to make sure they are all roosting . Otherwise they can be caught in the dark when the lights suddenly go off and chickens can’t see in the dark. All the advice I’ve read is to only add light to the morning. I have mine set for 4 a.m. to give them three extra hours of light and they all started laying within 2-10 days.
Yes, I'm aware they can't see in the dark. We are present and watch them in the camera to make sure they are on the roost before we turn the light out. The extended evening works for ours.

Yes, I'm aware they can't see in the dark. We are present and watch them in the camera to make sure they are on the roost before we turn the light out. The extended evening works for ou
Yes, I'm aware they can't see in the dark. We are present and watch them in the camera to make sure they are on the roost before we turn the light out. The extended evening works for ours.
Of course :). I didn’t mean to offend you. This person was looking for advice. Of course if they have cameras or are home to check on them it would work great. But not everyone has that ability is all.

Of course :). I didn’t mean to offend you. This person was looking for advice. Of course if they have cameras or are home to check on them it would work great. But not everyone has that ability is all.
No offense taken, and I agree. It is important to make sure one is able to verify that they are on the roost when the lights go out.

black oil sunflower seeds aren't as rich in protein as you might think. Here's a label from my bag:

Attachments

• boss label.jpg
    boss label.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 6
That's interesting. The Organic Black Oil Sunflower Seeds on Azure lists protein as 42%.

Ingredients

organic whole sunflower seeds, black oil

1674781612379.png

Trying to get the girls to lay a little more by adding a light. First time trying, always thought they needed the break. But feed costs and 8 girls laying maybe 1 egg a day ain't cutting it. They are roosting at 4pm now! Before the light was added they were going to roost at dusk, which is around 5:30pm here right now. The light comes on by a timer at 3am and shuts off at 7am. I have read that it could take 4-6 weeks for the light to make a difference but this going to roost so early got me puzzled. No change in feed (DuMor 16% Layer Pellets), water and free range all day/locked in at night. Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
I'm willing to bet the chickens going to roost earlier with lights on is owing to the increased foraging time (nutrient and energy intake) each day and the shortened period without being able to feed. They can realize a crop fill without trying feed up to the last minute each evening before dark.

My fee-range chickens when having a hard time filling crop go to roost up to an hour later than when the same birds are given a pile of feed an hour or so before dark.

Back
Top Bottom