Artificial light - minimum Eggs required

I introduce light to improve egg laying over the winter time. My hens are off grid to I am limited to power from small 12v battery and solar panel. Because of limited power I use a low a wattage led bulb (2w) for a small henhouse 3x4 feet.

I have my doubts whether my lighting has any affect. What minimum power light do need for a small hen house?

:welcome :frow I have power to my coops and each coop has a night light. I use 11 watt LED sign bulbs. They only use 1 watt each. I like them because I can check on them at night if I need to with light. Good luck and have fun...

I introduce light to improve egg laying over the winter time. My hens are off grid to I am limited to power from small 12v battery and solar panel. Because of limited power I use a low a wattage led bulb (2w) for a small henhouse 3x4 feet.

I have my doubts whether my lighting has any affect. What minimum power light do need for a small hen house?
It needs to be bright enough to 'read a newspaper'.
More importantly, it needs to be on a timer so it is consistent.
Unless you have an adequate panel and battery, that may not be possible.

I have it on a timer. Last few years I have introduced light in early Jan once they've had time to rest and moult. I'm not convinced that my lighting has any affect on egg laying - bringing it back in. I add light early morning to try and make 14 hours of light

My panel is 25w. It struggles to recharge battery over winter which is why I have limited the light to a few watts. Lighting is made from short led strips
Might need a bigger panel and/or battery for more wattage at your light.
I use a 60watt incandescent bulb.
....and supplemental lighting is not like flipping a switch and the eggs come out :lol:
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @chrisrumsey
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-3_16-39-13.png

Back
Top Bottom