Aruacana or are they...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LilacHomestead, Oct 15, 2013.

1. LilacHomestead

LilacHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Hey I've got a tough one for you; I bought three trios of "Aruacana" unsexed pullets from a local auction (yes I went a little crazy with the bidding[​IMG])
    They were from different breeders. P.S they are drinking some apple cider vinegar and I am yet to make their roost homely!
    I'm also having trouble finding the Australian standards for Araucana I know the US only classify the rumpless but these are apparently more of the 'British' type with tails. They all appear to have the pea comb. Sorry for the crummy photos!

Trio A : Three white with blue eyes, two older bigger ones and a small. Apparently lay blue eggs.

Trio B: The blue and reddish one in the front (I'm pretty sure he's a roo because he calls the others over when he finds food and he has thick legs) and a dark blue afro-ed bird (in the middle of 1st pic) And a blue one with a white afro (rear of 2nd pic)

Trio C: The youngest/smallest ones in the pics: In second pic little grey furthest to the right and the lighter grey next to her/him and the small almost black one in the middle.

So what gender do you think they are and are they true to type Aruacana/Easter Eggers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure on the breed. Their legs are the correct color for British type Araucanas (which have tails). However, I don't think that they are supposed to have small crests on their heads like some of your birds do. They might be mixes, with mostly Araucana in them.

As for the gender, all of the birds except for the blue and reddish one look like pullets. The blue and reddish one has red wing patches, which is an indicator of a male.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    That is a tough one for those of us in the USA, since our Araucanas look totally different from British Araucanas. From what I can see, the crest is correct, but they should also have beards. The leg colors aren't as standardized in the British version, either. Here are some photos from the British Araucana Club. http://www.araucana.org.uk/photos.html

Why are you giving them pure ACV to drink? I've heard of small amounts being put in drinking water, but never bowls of straight vinegar. This might be something you want to check out before you keep doing it. In fact, my avian vet says not to even add ACV to drinking water, that the info on it all over the internet is unproven and way oversold, and that there are no good studies showing it to be helpful in poultry. In humans, it can help in one area, but be harmful in others, such as lowering blood sugar while raising the risk of bladder cancer. The only time he says to do it is when you are getting ready to slaughter, as it can reduce the bacteria load in the gut. If you are not planning to slaughter, you WANT bacteria in the gut. They help digest the food.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    http://www.araucana.org.uk/photos.html

This British Araucana club's website shows lots of them with little crests such as these birds have. Interesting how there is such a large difference in SOPs across the pond.

ETA: The previous post wasn't showing up on my screen before I posted. I feel redundant.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have no idea on the breed standard, but I do think your only male is the little guy with red on his wing.

7. LilacHomestead

Oct 14, 2013
    The ACV is mixed with water I think the flash just made it look darker than what it actually was and that was a separate bowl to their water drinker. But I will read up on ACV it's amazing how many 'remedies' on the net are later proven to be toxic etc [​IMG]

8. LilacHomestead

Oct 14, 2013
    Could the ones with the afros (what is that called?) be a polish cross? If so I guess they won't be laying green eggs...

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Are you in the UK or the States?

edited because I re-read and see you are in Austrailia.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Lilac homestead, you will need to ask your questions on an Australian poultry website, as the standard is different here in Australia to that in America. Here is somewhere to start - the Araucana breeders group of Australia http://araucanabreedersgroup.webs.com/
    You will need to become a member to access the breed standard. Alternatively there is a Crested Breeds club of Australia on Facebook. Also try Backyard Poultry forum here http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/

Which auction did you get your birds from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by