As green as they get...

Jayrf929

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2018
Hello everyone my name is Jay. I live in Massachusetts with my wife and 2 kids. I’m new to everything that involves raising chickens. I had some free range eggs a few months ago and realized how much better they are than store bought and decided I wanted chickens. I’m in the process of building my own coup and hope to buy chicks in the spring. I’ll post pictures when it is complete. My kids are pretty excited about it and look forward to helping raise them.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes. I hope to start my flock in the Spring.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I’m thinking I’ll have 6-8 chickens

(3) What breeds do you have?

None yet but the breeds I’m interested in are Buff Orpingtons, Blue laced red Wyandottes, Silkies, Rhode Island Reds, and always open for suggestions. Probably will only have a couple of the breeds listed, not all.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

By googling questions and searching for info. More often than not I found myself here so I figured I’d join.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Watching sports, going to the gun range, and most of all spending time with my family.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My wife and I just celebrated our anniversary on October 10th. We’ve been happily married for 8 years now. We have a 6 year old boy and a 5 year old girl. We don’t have any pets at this time but will have a dog one day. Hope it gets along with the chickens

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

By googling info. I’ve only known about it for a few months. Joined for the plethora of info available here. I’ll be asking a lot questions! Thanks for reading.

Jay

GroupWelcome.gif

This is a perfect place to learn about chicken raising!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens

Welcome to BYC! I highly recommend Silkies as they are super sweet but bad on the eggs. Rhode Island Red or RIR as they are super sweet and very good on eggs. Buff Orpingtons as they are super sweet and also decent on eggs. Naked Neck-Turkens are big gals that are pretty. White Leghorns are super good on eggs. Mine layed through the winter but I am in California so yeah. Good luck! :hugs

Welcome, Jay!

It's hard to beat having your own free-range eggs. Congratulations on doing your research before you jump into chicken ownership.

I have or have had all the breeds you mentioned, except the silkies. All have been great birds -- good layers with good dispositions. Good luck with your spring plans.

Back
Top Bottom