Ascitis? Please help

Pics
It’s too dark to be doing anything tonight... 18 is the largest we have, we almost never have to give the cattle injections, it’s mostly the sheep... about the dosing with the Baytril. I’m worried about the extra weight that Puffy has from the buildup? She’s a lot heavier than the other birds, just guessing from holding them, but she easily weighs as much as our big barred rock right now, and she’s a much smaller bodied red sex link. Should I adjust her dosage?

Owner still hasn’t looked at Puffy, but has agreed to culling her. This is probably the kindest and quickest solution. She was very fluffed up today.

I am looking at getting a cone tomorrow while I’m in town getting feed and an x-ray (the Dr. was on island today and I broke down and made the appointment) as I will be needing to eventually process my extra cockerels as well. So I will have to do it on Friday.

Any suggestions on this. I have never done a chicken before, just hunted meats (already dead from the shot when I get to it) and fish. I want this to be as painless and peaceful for her as possible. Many Thanks to everyone for the information, support, and encouragement.

Any suggestions on this.
I use Cervical Dislocation to euthanize birds I don't intend to eat, it's quick and no bloody mess.
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

***Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

***Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.
*** Key points

No way.
I found that video disturbing.
Decapitation seriously if you want swift kind euthanizing. No cutting the throat for a slow bleed out.
No breaking the neck. In both the chicken is still alive.
People do what is less messy and it’s cruel!

I use Cervical Dislocation to euthanize birds I don't intend to eat, it's quick and no bloody mess.
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

***Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

***Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.
*** Key points
I’m still not walking properly right now... if anyone else was willing to do this for me... :hmm it would be done already. That’s what I’ve been looking up, but I’m afraid that I would bungle it not being able to put weight on my right foot right now. Very good video though, thank you! I’ve read descriptions and seen some illustrations, but that is much clearer.

No way.
I found that video disturbing.
Decapitation seriously if you want swift kind euthanizing. No cutting the throat for a slow bleed out.
No breaking the neck. In both the chicken is still alive.
People do what is less messy and it’s cruel!

If done properly the cevical dislocation is instant. The flapping is all autonomous muscle spasms. It looks awful but the bird is gone. I have a copy of the humane stunning and slaughter course material from when my husband became certified in it for our abattoir. If the throat is slit within the allowable time and the carcass is bled properly it is also safe for human consumption.

Back
Top Bottom