Ascitis? Please help

With all do respect you can break a animals neck and it is not dead.
I know what death spasms are.
Why not do it like grandma...pick it up by the neck and wring it round in circles above your head till it stops twitching...hence the bird actually dies from suffocating due to the grip and crushing of the larynx and air way. (The video reminds me of this)
And bleeding out IS for consumption the bird is no different than us. Cut our throats and we pass out from blood loss. Convenient to do it over a bucket. Same same ...it is not instantaneous. A cone & decapitation is swift & Humane.
IMHO loppers or sheers is Humane anything that severes the head.

With all do respect you can break a animals neck and it is not dead.
I know what death spasms are.
Why not do it like grandma...pick it up by the neck and wring it round in circles above your head till it stops twitching...hence the bird actually dies from suffocating due to the grip and crushing of the larynx and air way. (The video reminds me of this)
And bleeding out IS for consumption the bird is no different than us. Cut our throats and we pass out from blood loss. Convenient to do it over a bucket. Same same ...it is not instantaneous. A cone & decapitation is swift & Humane.
IMHO loppers or sheers is Humane anything that severes the head.
I think we are mis-communicating... I was just meaning that if cervical dislocation is properly done it is considered by the BC SPCA to be a humane form of euthanasia in poultry.

Also, that if the neck is cut after the dislocation within an allotted time period (don’t have the reference materials here at the moment for the exact number of seconds permitted!) then it is considered acceptable for human consumption by the abattoirs association of my province; though in poultry, electric stunning is the current “standard” procedure.

I will do my very best to make sure she doesn’t suffer, this is why I am culling her. I should have done it today, but want to make sure I don’t make a mistake, so I will wait for a cone to support and restrain her.

I think we are mis-communicating... I was just meaning that if cervical dislocation is properly done it is considered by the BC SPCA to be a humane form of euthanasia in poultry.

Also, that if the neck is cut after the dislocation within an allotted time period (don’t have the reference materials here at the moment for the exact number of seconds permitted!) then it is considered acceptable for human consumption by the abattoirs association of my province; though in poultry, electric stunning is the current “standard” procedure.

I will do my very best to make sure she doesn’t suffer, this is why I am culling her. I should have done it today, but want to make sure I don’t make a mistake, so I will wait for a cone to support and restrain her.
I hope your foot heals well. Everyone is different. I know you’ll do your best. You do great work caring for those chickens. Sorry for your circumstances.

I forgot about your bad foot, that would make the broomstick CD more difficult, if not impossible.

I found this blog piece to be most helpful in learning where to slit the carotid/jugular.
They show a meat bird, so fewer feathers thus easy to see the anatomy.
On a layer ya gotta get the knife between as many feathers as possible.
Sharp knife, smooth long stroke.
You can do this!

Back
Top Bottom