Aseel cross bred for meat???

SJ

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Wisconsin
I was rolling this idea around for awhile now and have thought seriously about getting an aseel roo instead of a pure cornish this spring. If I get one it will be to cross with my DelawarexRIR/NHR hens as part of plan to make my own DP breed. I want aseel blood for the meat qualities but am i better off going with a pure cornish? I understand aseel are gamefowl and what that means. Im not concerned with that. Im only concerned with which breed would offer the best meat qualities in developement of a DP breed. Does anyone have expierence with crossing the aseel? Anyone own aseels crossed with anything besides other oriental game fowl? (Maylay, Sumatras, ect.) Do you have Pics? Can you suggest a reputable breeder? Any thought are welcome. Thanks
big_smile.png

a lot of people have talked about and done that, Shamos have been a big discussion lately too. I would try it, you will know in one season if it worked for you or not, that's the fun of experimental poultry breeding.

Quote:
Most likely the reason they don`t eat them is the value of the bird. Actually the meat is first class. Asil cocks are easy to handle and should work fine. However, the Cornish were developed using Asils. In my opinion, you would be ahead of the game by using a Cornish cock.........Pop

Quote:
But did the cornish's famous meatiness come from the asil or just the big bone structure? did the cornish get its meatiness... say from the dorking or what ever? Cuz nobody going to persuade me it came from OEG.

Last edited:
Quote:
But did the cornish's famous meatiness come from the asil or just the big bone structure? did the cornish get its meatiness... say from the dorking or what ever? Cuz nobody going to persuade me it came from OEG.

LOL, ya got that right. OEG`s certainly don`t carry a lot of meat. Can`t really recall the cross, but being an Asil breeder for many years, I have read that they were used in Cornish developement. I suspect that any large meat fowl crossed with an Asil will have great improvement in substance. Please be sure to keep us informed on your results. Kind of a neat little project..........Pop

I did cross asil with RIR. I liked the birds too good to kill them ( I only hatched three hens) but judging by the feel and look of these three hens I would say go for it. You will like the outcome. They look a lot like a buckeye.

A lot of good points here.
smile.png

Gamefowl as a pure breed are far too valuable to simply eat.

Gamefowl do indeed make good meat crosses, but ONLY with a heavy enough bird. Production Reds, or any hatchery bird for that matter, will make a cross better than the parent, but not the best.

I myself am doing a gamefowl cross project, but I'm using Shamos instead.

Cornish are a really good idea too, but best as either a purebred project or bred with a very heavy breed like imported strains of Sussex.

There's a reason I choose upright orientals over American, European, or Ornamentals though. (Sumatras, etc) Upright types are far more muscled, and the upright stance actually aids in a cross that provides for a very Cornish-like bodily appearance and structure.

Even in purebreds, though they seem skinny, you'll need to see a 2 year old adult or feel them in real life before you judge.
wink.png
Even my Shamo chicks, barely a month old, have a LOT of meat on their bones compared to their hatch-mate mutts, who have no gamefowl blood in them. The Shamos feel and look like rocks, as do their parents.
smile.png
The only reason they seem skinny is because of their hard feathering, a feather structure that presses firmly up against the body, reducing the fluffy look, and also the upright stance.

After a couple generations and with good, focused breeding, - I'm pretty sure it is possible. I've yet the experience to say with complete assurance though, especially on the second generation or even first. My first gen birds and the first gen birds I've seen from others just didn't have the chance much to show the aggression gamefowl are known for.

Back
Top Bottom