Aseel cross bred for meat???

Quote:
LOL, Illia, I don`t know if you have had the opportunity to talk to, or read any writings by Julia Keeling (The Shamo Lady). She`s a sweetheart and based on the Isle of Mann. A quote from her that I think really sums up Shamos is, "they are big puddings until they reach a certain age". Indeed, most Shamo do not "Turn On" until around a year old.

To address Stacy`s question about aggression, I have to say that the term "game" does not apply to aggressive or mean. Game as a term applied to gamefowl simply means that the bird will not run from an opponent, even if he is losing. I`m sure all of us in this discussion realize that any rooster will fight a stranger. A game rooster is deemed to be agressive because he is an athlete and has the temperment and agility to deliver the mail, so to speak, without the inclination to run or fly over the fence to get away from an opponent. Often gamefowl are misconstrued as "mean", when just the opposite is true, especially when it comes to orientals. Asils and Shamo are extremely man friendly, but like any rooster, they cannot be kept with other roosters. The exception to the other rooster rule, being the wooses that most people keep in their flocks.

So, that leaves me with the statement that aggression cannot be bred out. Gameness, on the other hand, is a gonner after the first cross, in most instances. Manfighters are far more likely to occur in regular barnyard types, that in any game breed, simply because cockers do not tolerate manfighters. They are, almost wthout exception, culled as soon as they appear and are never bred. Orientals are gentle to handle and even those that are not used to handling calm down immediately when picked up. American, Spanish, Irish, etc. games are more flighty and take a little more willpower to subdue, but no manfighters are allowed. Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.......Pop

Last edited:
Okay I'm sorry but I thought the question was about aggression towards other roosters. . . . ?
hide.gif
Of course they aren't aggressive towards people, they're actually the most, shal I say, loyal group of breeds I've ever known.

This/ directed to any with gamefowl breeding experience.

If I understand Illia and Pop correctly crossing a large "gamefowl"(Asil, Burmese, Cubalaya, ect.) with a large breed (Del, RRI, NHR ect.) should produce a bird with more, ("substance") meat.

If this true, keep in mind the cross is still meant to be a truelly DP animal. Does any of the game breeds offer substancial better laying ability than others? Just trying to, pardon the expression, kill two birds with one stone.

Does upright stance effect laying?

Quote:
No experience with Burmese and Cubalaya is a light breed. Asils lay a small egg, but unsure about how the cross would affect that. Some Asil strains are not good layers and all the breeds mentioned are highly prone to brood. Shamo lay a fairly large egg and are usually better layers than Asil, but that broody thing cuts down egg production. Any oriental breed should start laying about the same age as RIR`s or soon after, but orientals are slow to mature, not being fully mature until around 2 years. The upright stance doesn`t seem to have any effect on egg production.

My opinion, orientals are good for their original intent, or as ornaments. To use them as egg layers or meat birds, or even crosses, is not an ecconomic venture. Good luck......Pop

I appreciate the input Pop. The economics aren't much of a concern and the broodiness is a trait I desire to develope in my project. To put it plainly I want a breed of bird that is all climate hardy, vigorus, prolific, forages superbly, fiercely protective of his flock or her young, quiet, calm, beautiful, friendly towards people, and over all healthy. Yep its gonna be a project.

Quote:
You`re welcome, SJ. Asils are all that you ask, except cold hardy. Probably not much less than most breeds, but they are hard feathered, which means they aren`t fluffy and most of them have skin exposed in some areas. Guess you just have to crossbreed some to find out if the cross will improve that feature. Great birds, though. Good luck with your project......Pop

Back
Top Bottom