Asian Blacks and Broodiness

MadamPoofyBrow

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 15, 2015
Hey everybody, I’m curious if anyone has any experience with Asian Blacks going broody.
I have two pullets that are nearing POL, and they’re the first ABs I’ve ever had. They came from TSC, I got them and some leghorns and ISA browns for a hen that was broody this spring because I didn’t have a rooster at the time.
Anyway, it’s not super important but I’m just curious . I’ve not had a lot of luck finding much information on the breed.
Any other information like laying frequency etc. is appreciated too! I’ve had many, many chickens and I always love learning about breeds I’m new to!

I've never had Asians myself, but they're highly developed production birds, and breeders strongly discourage broodiness in their high-production lines.

It's difficult to completely overcome such an ingrained instinct, so the occasional broody sex-link does pop up, but you're unlikely to get such a bird. Though it's more likely to happen if the rest of your flock goes broody—the behaviour is definitely contagious.

I've never had Asians myself, but they're highly developed production birds, and breeders strongly discourage broodiness in their high-production lines.

It's difficult to completely overcome such an ingrained instinct, so the occasional broody sex-link does pop up, but you're unlikely to get such a bird. Though it's more likely to happen if the rest of your flock goes broody—the behaviour is definitely contagious.

Thank you!! I wasn’t even sure if they were bred for production or dual purpose or what. They are much larger than the others the same age so I wasn’t sure if they were exclusively egg layers.

Thank you!! I wasn’t even sure if they were bred for production or dual purpose or what. They are much larger than the others the same age so I wasn’t sure if they were exclusively egg layers.
They're marketed as "dual purpose" but they're supposed to lay upwards of 250 eggs a year, and combined with the fact that they're sexlinks, I don't think broodiness was something the companies wanted.
I did see that the local TSC was selling sexlinked Asian black chicks with a picture of the adult males barred and females not barred, and Rural King was selling straight run Asian Blacks that were all black, so I don't think they're all the same cross of breeds. Either that, or someone was mislabelling something.

They're marketed as "dual purpose" but they're supposed to lay upwards of 250 eggs a year, and combined with the fact that they're sexlinks, I don't think broodiness was something the companies wanted.
I did see that the local TSC was selling sexlinked Asian black chicks with a picture of the adult males barred and females not barred, and Rural King was selling straight run Asian Blacks that were all black, so I don't think they're all the same cross of breeds. Either that, or someone was mislabelling something.
I saw somewhere about the barred roosters, TSC showed them both black but they were sold as pullets. One of mine is solid black and the other is black and gold. I think you’re right that they’re not all the same mix.
I guess I’ll just see what happens, but I won’t get my hopes up that one of them will want to sit.

From the experience we’ve had, any sign of “broodiness” generally happened during egg laying. The girls would lay on them for a few hours, grumble and anyone near by, and then leave when they wanted to. Though they are produced for egg production through crossing is different breeds, some traits tend to come out more. We have two girls that are heavier in shape; they happen to show a longer brood time than the lighter girl.

All and all, if you would like a broody hen for chicks, production breeds are generally not a good choice—due to broodiness bred out of them and the short lifespan that they have.

My asian will sit in her nesting box and squawk at any one who comes near.. she does this for a few hours then gets board with the whole clucking mess and goes to play. Lol this is a daily thing. She has never gone full broody.

Hey everybody, I’m curious if anyone has any experience with Asian Blacks going broody.
I have two pullets that are nearing POL, and they’re the first ABs I’ve ever had. They came from TSC, I got them and some leghorns and ISA browns for a hen that was broody this spring because I didn’t have a rooster at the time.
Anyway, it’s not super important but I’m just curious . I’ve not had a lot of luck finding much information on the breed.
Any other information like laying frequency etc. is appreciated too! I’ve had many, many chickens and I always love learning about breeds I’m new to!

Back
Top Bottom