Asian blue chickens!!

Quick question!! One of my Roos have almost killed one of my hens. I've separated him from the flock, but he has plucked all feathers from her neck to the point of almost butcher like. She will not even come out of the hen house. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?!

Cockerels become sexually mature before pullets. Their hormones are raging but they have not learned any of the art of courtship and mating. The pullets are not old enough to know what's happening, so it gets pretty violent with the males running around grabbing the females by the neck/head feathers and trying to mount them and the pullets screaming and struggling to pull away. It can lead to serious scalping and even dislocated/ broken bones as well as feather damage. Adolescent cockerels are a real pain. especially if you don't have a more senior rooster or hens to put them in their place.
For the sake of your pullets, get rid of the boys or build them a bachelor pad until they are old enough to control themselves and develop some manners and the pullets are old enough to accept their advances. Also 2 cockerels to 4 pullets is most likely going to cause your girls to be stressed and over bred even once they are old enough to mate , so best to cull them down to one or none depending on your goals or get more hens.

Around 22-26 weeks. Things I've noticed that gives you a clue are Wattles and comb turn form pink to a dark Red. also if you slightly press your hand on their back and they squat and spread their wings simulating a rooster mounting them you know your close. I have two Asian Blues but, my girls are only about 7 weeks. My Ameracuanas are 26 weeks and we got our first egg yesterday. Light Blue and we were thrilled. Your Asians will lay a light buff colored egg usually.

Hey there, I have 6 Asian blues and I'm just wondering if anyone knows when the hens start layin'? I bought them from TSC a week before Easter. Thanks
welcome-group.gif
And to BYC!

It is getting late in the year for pullets to start laying eggs. Unless you give them supplemental light in the 12 to 14 hour range, they will likely not start until the Spring or late winter

Back
Top Bottom