Asiatic class Cockerel Aggression

Blackberry18

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
I really want to get a breed from the Asiatic class, particularly Brahmas or Cochins, and I want to show them in my county fair. I know that Brahmas nor Cochins are fantastic egg layers, so I wouldn't do well in the egg-laying category. So, my best option would be a breeding pen, and since I would most likely keep the cockerel and hens, I'm wondering if male Brahmas or Cochins are very aggressive. I've heard good things about both, but also remember one of my friends having a bantam Black Cochin cock that was very aggressive. I'm also worried about mating, since I don't really want to breed, especially odd crosses. Any suggestions of males from the Asiatic class, mostly Brahmas or Cochins, that have little aggression and don't mate that often, or something I can do to prevent it?

The best way to prevent mating is to keep the males and females separated. The separation will allow the females to maintain good feather quality. Mating can and often does damage to the feathers. There are always exceptions but Cochins and Brahmas are both docile breeds.

The best way to prevent mating is to keep the males and females separated. The separation will allow the females to maintain good feather quality. Mating can and often does damage to the feathers. There are always exceptions but Cochins and Brahmas are both docile breeds.
Thanks! I'm not sure about keeping them separated; I'm already short on room and have 13 other hens. If I do get a male, I think I might sell him at auction, but I'm not sure.

If you don't want to have any odd crosses then simply don't hatch any eggs or let the hens hatch any of their eggs. If you want to have birds worthy of doing well at your show you might possibly sell some of your old hens to make room. Hens are far easier to sell then roosters. You will have to decide what is most important to you based on the results you want to have.

If you don't want to have any odd crosses then simply don't hatch any eggs or let the hens hatch any of their eggs. If you want to have birds worthy of doing well at your show you might possibly sell some of your old hens to make room. Hens are far easier to sell then roosters. You will have to decide what is most important to you based on the results you want to have.
It's not too much of a worry about hatching, but I would just prefer a flock clear of mating, because, as you also said, it can damage the feathering, and Brahmas and Cochin are heavy birds. If I do try to get Brahmas or Cochins, it would be next year at earliest.

Why not simply have females and show them in the breed class?
That's the part that my fair's to blame for. There are only so many classes. White egg production, brown egg production, market, and breeding. Breeding class requires a pen of two females and one male.

Back
Top Bottom