Ask a chef

I suffer from severe seasickness, so being on a boat is a nightmare for me, I do dive, free diving and also scuba diving, and do spear fishing . I have some freinds that go deep sea fishing on boats and in time to time I buy from them some nice fish.
My husband had the same problem. He even got seasick free diving for abalone, at least while on the surface. :sickOnce under the water he's better. It's lessened as he's gotten older. The over the counter drugs work fine now. We got to go whale watching in Alaska several years ago, and it was fantastic. Got to see a large pod of orcas and 4 humpback whales bubble-net fishing.

My husband had the same problem. He even got seasick free diving for abalone, at least while on the surface. :sickOnce under the water he's better. It's lessened as he's gotten older. The over the counter drugs work fine now. We got to go whale watching in Alaska several years ago, and it was fantastic. Got to see a large pod of orcas and 4 humpback whales bubble-net fishing.
That's fantastic!! The size of the humpback can really humble a human.

That's fantastic!! The size of the humpback can really humble a human.
It was amazing to see the whales working together. Our tour took an extra half hour just to watch them. The seagulls showed us where to look before the whales surfaced. Quite a show! Once in a lifetime experience.

It was amazing to see the whales working together. Our tour took an extra half hour just to watch them. The seagulls showed us where to look before the whales surfaced. Quite a show! Once in a lifetime experience.
Indeed! they do collaborate together in the hunt for food, and that is quite amaizing to watch. I unfortunately will see it only on National Geographic channel....

Looking for recommendations for a good food mill.

I have an Italian *tomato squeezer* that works nicely on my apples (for apple butter), BUT the design is awful. It clamps to a table and I have only a few inches (vertically) for a dish to collect the pulp. The edge on my standard 9x13 dish was too tall, and I had to scramble for another lower-profile dish. The distance between pulp chute and refuse tube (horizontal distance) is tight and makes it very hard to position my dishes. I ended up catching refuse in my hand and chucking it into the refuse bowl. Quite frankly, it's the Fiat of food mills.

Wondering if anyone has a food mill that they like. Thanks!!

Looking for recommendations for a good food mill.

I have an Italian *tomato squeezer* that works nicely on my apples (for apple butter), BUT the design is awful. It clamps to a table and I have only a few inches (vertically) for a dish to collect the pulp. The edge on my standard 9x13 dish was too tall, and I had to scramble for another lower-profile dish. The distance between pulp chute and refuse tube (horizontal distance) is tight and makes it very hard to position my dishes. I ended up catching refuse in my hand and chucking it into the refuse bowl. Quite frankly, it's the Fiat of food mills.

Wondering if anyone has a food mill that they like. Thanks!!
I love my kitchen aid mill. It does a wonderful job on pretty much everything.

Is this it? The fruit/vegetable strainer? And it spits out the peels and seeds and gives you the pulp and juice?
https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...ts/p.fruit-vegetable-strainer-set.fvsfga.html
This is the one I use... https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Kitch...RVsQiymIUIikWoZJOkMaAlSIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds The pulp and juice comes out the bottom of the white piece and the seeds and peels come out the end of the cone. I'll generally run them through a second time or until what comes out the end is really dry.

Nice! Thank you! It looks like it's even cheaper at Home Depot. I have a Kitchenaid, and I've been grinding my own meat for years (vs. buying store-bought ground beef). It tastes so much better. Really appreciate your great input! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom