Ask a chef

Pics
 Thanks A....

My dad was like you.... inspired by an individual that overcame obsticals....  IN his case he became an engineer...  Your case a Chef... In my book they are equal.

deb

Sometimes we are lucky enough to find something or someone to focus on.
Food, architecture, literature, art. Creation is creation we just change the medium.

You got that right
thumbsup.gif

Last nights dinner, all off the bbq.
Corn on cob. New york steak. Grilled zuchinni.

Getting my mix started for some pickled eggs

About half the salads from a function the other day

And some desserts going out, brownie a la mode. Chocolate sauce and powdered sugar

Lamb stew from a few nights ago, with some stock i rendered from another lamb hock i cooked down for a few days.

And some bread to go with it

Last edited:

Last nights dinner, all off the bbq.
Corn on cob. New york steak. Grilled zuchinni.

Getting my mix started for some pickled eggs

About half the salads from a function the other day

And some desserts going out, brownie a la mode. Chocolate sauce and powdered sugar

Lamb stew from a few nights ago, with some stock i rendered from another lamb hock i cooked down for a few days.

And some bread to go with it

:thumbsup
Explain NY stake
The corn on cob
1 do you give it half a boil befor bbq? I do
2 Do you use any seasoninig on it? I use botter or coconut oil, salt black pepper hot paprika you can use some carry powder ect.

Last edited:
I know you will probably cringe.... but I clean the corn and remove only the loose... leaves.... leave the silk the stem and the Majority of the leaves on. Then Cook it in the microwave. Un wrapped... About ten minutes for three ears....

This is essentially steaming the corn in its own juices. When you bring it out of the microwave it will be Nuclear hot so you have to use oven mitts for the next step. which is to cut off off the stem part of the corn up to the first row of kernals.... Then the leaves and silk come off by a twist motion.... Usually in one step.

I neither salt nor pepper nor butter or oil my corn on the cob.... I love it that way. But you could then pop it on the grill for some char and season it as well at that time

For what its worht Microwaving is best thought of as a steaming operation.... anything that will steam cook over a double boiler will cook with very little added water in the microwave. I steam new potatoes, asparagus, etc.... in a microwaveable container with a lid....

Because it changes the starch in potatoes I dont do this for mashed potatoes. But a plain old russet potatoe washed skin left on and poked a few times with a fork on top is an awesome Baked potatoe.

deb

Last edited:
New york steak is part of a T-Bone steak.... I know in the U.S. we have terms for cuts of meat that are different.

Tbone steak if divided the right hand side is the New york.

New York or Strip steak

excerpt from the following website http://www.topratedsteakhouses.com/what-is-new-york-strip-steak/
""The New York Strip is the half-brother of the T-Bone Steak. Confused? Play along with me for a moment. The T-bone steak gets its name because it has a bone that is shaped like a “T”. On one side of the bone is a strip steak. On the other is a piece of tenderloin filet. Hence, the T-bone is really two steaks in one.""

In my opinion it takes a good cook or chef to cook one well. because it can be a tough if not cooked right. But I think they have a lot of flavor and are so worth it.

My personal favorite is rib eye though.... and Prime rib.... By the way there are corresponding cuts in lamb and pork

Standing rib roast is similar to Prime rib but a not considered prime. I get the standing rib because I can afford it. Essentially is a bone in Ribeye roast.... I usually can only afford two or three ribs worth for special occasions. What I do is have the Butcher cut the meat off the bone then tie it back on the bone for roasting. Makes it easier to serve.

Lamb version

cooked.... I have only had this once
droolin.gif

crown roast of lamb

deb

New york steak is part of a T-Bone steak.... I know in the U.S. we have terms for cuts of meat that are different. Tbone steak if divided the right hand side is the New york. New York or Strip steak excerpt from the following website http://www.topratedsteakhouses.com/what-is-new-york-strip-steak/ ""The New York Strip is the half-brother of the T-Bone Steak. Confused? Play along with me for a moment. The T-bone steak gets its name because it has a bone that is shaped like a “T”. On one side of the bone is a strip steak. On the other is a piece of tenderloin filet. Hence, the T-bone is really two steaks in one."" In my opinion it takes a good cook or chef to cook one well. because it can be a tough if not cooked right. But I think they have a lot of flavor and are so worth it. My personal favorite is rib eye though.... and Prime rib.... By the way there are corresponding cuts in lamb and pork Standing rib roast is similar to Prime rib but a not considered prime. I get the standing rib because I can afford it. Essentially is a bone in Ribeye roast.... I usually can only afford two or three ribs worth for special occasions. What I do is have the Butcher cut the meat off the bone then tie it back on the bone for roasting. Makes it easier to serve. Lamb version cooked.... I have only had this once :drool crown roast of lamb deb
Thanks, I also steem green beens or fresh pees in the micro. The T bon is part filet minion and part Sinta on striploin ( if I am not wrong) so NY stake is basically the sinta ?

Last edited:
If I were a braver person I would raise my own sheep and goats for meat.... But I am not... same goes for pork. But I would buy a whole lamb or goat from a butcher and go from there. Same goes for pork....

Then there is that whole logistics thing with me in a rolling walker... So I will buy my meat... except for poultry....

I am sure I will cry buckets on the first and I am sure I will get over it..... but It will take some time to decide to process my own four legged critters.

deb

Thanks, I also steem green beens or fresh pees in the micro. The T bon is part filet minion and part Sinta on striploin ( if I am not wrong) so NY stake is basically the sinta ?
I assume so... we have a division between two steaks .... The T-bone.... and the Porterhouse... Looks similar. But the Porter house will have the Filet Mingnion... More meat on the other side and i think it depends on where the steak is cut from

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2012/03/12/how-to-buy-a-steak/

Where they come from
OH GAWD....

rule of thumb.... Tough cook carefully and it Will be more flavorful
Tender.... cook qucikly and it will be awesome

One of the issues in the U.S. is the government meddling in to keep all things "safe". Youd think that would be a good thing... with mad cow and all the issues with contaminated product. So in order to supply clean safe product to the grocery stores flavor is sacrificed... and nutritional value as well. I have cooked grocery store chicken that smelled of bleac

On one hand we have people who know NOTHING about where their food comes from... therefore meat is cooked poorly. Under cooked or over cooked.... Many would cringe knowing how food is cooked in other countries. I will buy from Mexican curbside food stands equally confident with food cooked in the US. Because the food is cooked well.

Sorry wandering.... result of self medication... its been a long day.

deb

:thumbsup
Explain NY stake
The corn on cob
1 do you give it half a boil befor bbq? I do
2 Do you use any seasoninig on it? I use botter or coconut oil, salt black pepper hot paprika you can use some carry powder ect.

Yes, new york= strip loin
No, i dont boil whole corn with leaf on prior to bbq.
Depending on what size and timing of meat it goes on first. And furthest from the coals. It will steam this way as well.
The only toppings it gets are some raw butter, cracked pink salt and pepper medly fresh ground.

As far as using microwave, I'll leave it at not having one in my home for several years now and am all the happier for it.

We run a half a rack of lamb at work i'll try and get a picture of the next time its plated.

A.

Back
Top Bottom