Ask a chef

Pics
I assume so... we have a division between two steaks .... The T-bone.... and the Porterhouse... Looks similar. But the Porter house will have the Filet Mingnion... More meat on the other side and i think it depends on where the steak is cut from https://grillinfools.com/blog/2012/03/12/how-to-buy-a-steak/ Where they come from OH GAWD.... rule of thumb.... Tough cook carefully and it Will be more flavorful Tender.... cook qucikly and it will be awesome One of the issues in the U.S. is the government meddling in to keep all things "safe". Youd think that would be a good thing... with mad cow and all the issues with contaminated product. So in order to supply clean safe product to the grocery stores flavor is sacrificed... and nutritional value as well. I have cooked grocery store chicken that smelled of bleac On one hand we have people who know NOTHING about where their food comes from... therefore meat is cooked poorly. Under cooked or over cooked.... Many would cringe knowing how food is cooked in other countries. I will buy from Mexican curbside food stands equally confident with food cooked in the US. Because the food is cooked well. Sorry wandering.... result of self medication... its been a long day. deb
nothing wrong with self medicating when the need arises. Thanks for filling in the blanks.
1f603.png

Quote: thanks.... after i posted I spatch cocked a small turkey in order to get it into the crockpot... set it to cook to temperature... then all the peices parts that didnt go in the crock pot went into a small pot on the stove. I fried up the liver though in butter and Yummm....

I will turn off the small pot when I go to bed.

for what its worth... I bought that turkey in November... By one get one.... deals. Nice butter ball Huge breasts... bout about 12 pounds Dang thing took four days to defrost enough to get the Giblets out.....
th.gif

Me and vodka hve an understanding.

G'night

deb

thanks....  after i posted I spatch cocked a small turkey in order to get it into the crockpot...  set it to cook to temperature...  then all the peices parts that didnt go in the crock pot went into a small pot on the stove.    I fried up the liver though in butter and Yummm....

for what its worth... I bought that turkey in November...  By one get one....  deals.   Nice butter ball Huge breasts...  bout about 12 pounds  Dang thing took four days to defrost enough to get the Giblets out..... :th

G'night

deb
you and my mom. Lol, was never a big fan of turkeys organs. Make a great gravy but were always cooked to death as a kid.
With as much hatching as I've been doing and with the ducks on s free for all basis, I'll be processing alot soon. Still looking at getting some turkeys to raise up for the holidays too.

A.

Little past midnight to say the least but heres my late night snack. Remember. Dont feed the maugyui after midnight

Some kernals

In a simmering hot pan with oil

Equals some kernals in hot oil

But after a few minutes, you add seasoning. In my case, black pepper, salt and coconut sugar to give it a sweet kettle corn taste

Several minutes under the lid

Produces a nice size bowl of fresh popcorn
Which ive since consumed during the time i wrote this
1f602.png

A.

thanks....  after i posted I spatch cocked a small turkey in order to get it into the crockpot...  set it to cook to temperature...  then all the peices parts that didnt go in the crock pot went into a small pot on the stove.    I fried up the liver though in butter and Yummm....

for what its worth... I bought that turkey in November...  By one get one....  deals.   Nice butter ball Huge breasts...  bout about 12 pounds  Dang thing took four days to defrost enough to get the Giblets out..... :th

G'night

deb
you and my mom. Lol, was never a big fan of turkeys organs. Make a great gravy but were always cooked to death as a kid.
With as much hatching as I've been doing and with the ducks on s free for all basis, I'll be processing alot soon. Still looking at getting some turkeys to raise up for the holidays too.

A.

I know that you in America don't usually eat the internal organs, and in my point of view it is one big stupidity! Because IMO they are the best tasting morsels! We eat EVERYTHING ! Did you ever try veal pancreas and lymph nodes? I think that you call them sweetbreads, or beef diaphragm, also named the Butcher stake or unggle't, BBQ turkey or veal tes...s? Liver? Spleen ? Stuffed veal spleen Moroccan style is wonderful! Stomach and intestine lyibian dishes are incredible! You should open your mind and you will find an incredible world of tastes!
Chicken breast marinated in filfel chouma and chiken livers on the gas BBQ( I prefer the charcoal but didn't want to deal with it ) for lunch

Last edited:
Quote: I know that you in America don't usually eat the internal organs, and in my point of view it is one big stupidity! Because IMO they are the best tasting morsels! We eat EVERYTHING ! Did you ever try veal pancreas and lymph nodes? I think tgat you call them sweetbreads, or beef diagrame, the Butcher cut or unggle', BBQ turkey or veal tes....? Liver? Spleen ? Stuffed veal spleen Marrucan style is wonderful! Stomach and intestine lyibian dishes are incredible! You should open your mind and you will find an incredible world of tastes!
Chicken breast marinated in filfel chouma and chiken livers on the gas BBQ( I prefer the charcoal but didn't want to deal with it ) for lunch

Mom hated liver but remember I had to learn to cook out of self preservation. Her liver would be cooked Sooooo long you could barely cut it with a knife.

My family is from the south.... so offal was on the table for sure. Funny thing Mom hated liver but lived cow stommach....

Her recipe was to boil the stommach for a very long time .... My guess was about five hours. She started in the morning. The other option would be to pressure cook it. then you drain and let cool enough to handle. then its cut into strips about two inches wide and six inches long.... Breaded in corn meal and fried in oil.... Seasonings of your choice. For us it was salt pepper and garlic.

It was fried till crispy but it still had some chewy parts to it.....
droolin.gif

Dad was fond of Chitlins which is a southern dish, mom refused to cook those at all. Chitlins are intestine. I have though had a Mexican version called Tripas.... Pork intestines.... the recipe I am sure would work for any... they have to be cleaned very very good. You can buy them in the store already cleaned. They are cut into manageable lengths for cooking then boiled as well but as they boil they render out their fat and eventually the water boils away . I have never cooked them but at some point they are cut up into small bite sized pieces seasoned and finished off till they are crispy. They are then served in small soft tortillas..... VERy rich, I cant eat but one or two Tripas filled Tortillas.
I had them at a birthday party where they brought out a huge copper kettle and had them cooking over a wood fire.... and he never took them out of the pot.

The video below is in Spanish.... but it shows the steps.

0.jpg

There are very few full on butcher shops here in the US. And even fewer that do slaughtering as well. Most commercial meat processing is done on production lines... so about all you can get in stores are Liver, Heart, intestines, and sometimes Kidneys. Not all grocery stores will keep those items available. Only ones that have ethnic clientele...

As you know Offal must be processed first. because it spoils....

I have had heart, Tongue, stomach, liver, and intestine. Oh and head... Street tacos with Cabeza meat.

Head Cheese is not cheese but a kind of salami sorry the recipe below is for pork but it can be done with any meat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/head-cheese_n_4212453.html

I am certain that Butcher shops that also do their own slaughtering will have those extra bits.

By the way the tongue I had was beef and it had been processed like corned beef. Yummy and very tender.

I will always give a new food a try.... even if I dont like it I will try it again other places.

deb

by the way the Turkey was done when I got up at nine... cooked in a crockpot it will be like I boiled it. so no crispy bits. I will cook up some dressing to serve with it.... Pick the bones and put the carcass back in the crock pot for bone broth.

The rest of the meat will be packaged and frozen for quick meals.

deb

Little past midnight to say the least but heres my late night snack. Remember. Dont feed the maugyui after midnight

Some kernals

In a simmering hot pan with oil

Equals some kernals in hot oil

But after a few minutes, you add seasoning. In my case, black pepper, salt and coconut sugar to give it a sweet kettle corn taste

Several minutes under the lid

Produces a nice size bowl of fresh popcorn
Which ive since consumed during the time i wrote this
1f602.png

A.
droolin.gif
we use an air popper I havent had oil popped corn in a very very very long time. I would imagine ghee would be an awesome popcorn oil.

We season with Salt Pepper garlic and parmesan.....

deb

I know that you in America don't usually eat the internal organs, and in my point of view it is one big stupidity! Because IMO they are the best tasting morsels! We eat EVERYTHING ! Did you ever try veal pancreas and lymph nodes? I think that you call them sweetbreads, or beef diaphragm, also named the Butcher stake or unggle't, BBQ turkey or veal tes...s? Liver? Spleen ? Stuffed veal spleen Moroccan style is wonderful! Stomach and intestine lyibian dishes are incredible! You should open your mind and you will find an incredible world of tastes!
nothing wrong with organs, just not a big fan of turkeys organs. I'm always open to fresh food but as deb pointed out, our access to certain cuts of meat isnt always easy or fresh.

:drool    we use an air popper I havent had oil popped corn in a very very very long time.      I would imagine ghee would be an awesome popcorn oil.

We season with Salt Pepper garlic and parmesan.....

deb
I remember having an air popper as a kid, I was always so fascinated by it.
The garlic and parmesan sounds like a wonderful idea as well, I just happened to be having a bit of a sweet tooth last night
1f609.png

A.

Back
Top Bottom