Ask a chef

Pics
Quote:
dads family started out in florida working acrosss the bottom of the U.S. as sharecroppers farming everything from cotton to pigs. Moms family started out in Oklahoma they dry farmed Pinto beans in Colorado on a 220 acre homestead. Both sides had their own recipes and methods of Using up food without waste.

Everythig was fried in Bacon Grease or lard.

I have some Okra thats begging to be fixed. We bread it and fry it... Or I do.... but Dad liked it cooked with stewed tomatoes and mixed in his grits. With a little bits of bacon. I like it that way too but havent had that in about forty years now. There are still a few restaurants here that serve grits as an option for breakfast. Benefits of living in a Navy town.

deb

dads family started out in florida working acrosss the bottom of the U.S. as sharecroppers farming everything from cotton to pigs. Moms family started out in Oklahoma they dry farmed Pinto beans in Colorado on a 220 acre homestead. Both sides had their own recipes and methods of Using up food without waste.

I have some Okra thats begging to be fixed. We bread it and fry it... Or I do.... but Dad liked it cooked with stewed tomatoes and mixed in his grits. With a little bits of bacon. I like it that way too but havent had that in about forty years now. There are still a few restaurants here that serve grits as an option for breakfast. Benefits of living in a Navy town.

deb

I lived half my life in Southern California and we never had grits. I never even saw them in a grocery store in Calif.

My dad was from Oklahoma he changed with the times with most foods he cooked I think because my mom did not eat all that grease.
My mom was from the Minnesota and she loved dutch foods.

deb

I lived half my life in Southern California and we never had grits. I never even saw them in a grocery store in Calif.

My dad was from Oklahoma he changed with the times with most foods he cooked I think because my mom did not eat all that grease.
My mom was from the Minnesota and she loved dutch foods.

Grits were available at Safeway Stores and are still available at the grocery stores now... Ralphs Vons and Albertsons.... As well as Walmart. Dennys restaruant carries grits as an option for potatoes with your eggs. I think Jimmys might as well they are a family restaurant here in Santee.

Of course we moved here in 1967 Back then this was a HEAVILY influenced town by the Navy. Still is even when the Marines took over Top Gun at Miramar. So Because of that this was a big rodeo town I think we are still on the PRCA circuit at least last time I checked. Lots of southern farmboys to feed.

We used to be able to Get Black eyed peas in the grocery store Last time I bought a lug was about thirty or more years ago. i am told that if I go to the farmers market downtown that I could probably get them when they were in season. Same goes for okra.... You can only purchase frozen shelled peas and frozen Okra now.

First thing I am going to try to grow when I get home is Blackeyed peas... When we could get them we would shell the ones that didnt snap well and snap the rest.... Oh so good that way cooked with a little left over ham. I am certain Blackeyed peas will grow well up at my house....

deb

Quote: Maybe I just never knew what they were before I moved to the south. lol

Good luck with growing your peas when you go home.
Surely you can order them online before then. My sister grocery shops through Amazon for a lot of things.
We love battered and fried okra even left over and cold the next day! Good as popcorn!

I hope the gentleman that started this thread does not get upset about us carrying on, on his thread.

Maybe I just never knew what they were before I moved to the south. lol

Surely you can order them online before then. My sister grocery shops through Amazon for a lot of things.
We love battered and fried okra even left over and cold the next day! Good as popcorn!

I hope the gentleman that started this thread does not get upset about us carrying on, on his thread.  
loving the stories, by all means carry on.
I'll have more food to share soon. Putting another duck special together for work.
Took a quick tour of a local farm with the kid.
Made some pho last night, kid loved it, I think it was a good shot at it.
Keep it up ladies and gents, great photos, great food and great times.

A.

Quote: Thank you, you are most kind. I enjoy reading and looking at the food and recipes and learning new things to try.
We are growing a small garden in kiddie pools. I am disabled and my husband is nearing retirement. So it's just the two
of us so we don't need much.

Straight neck squash plants

Raised bed and kiddie pool gardens

Strawberries for jam and baking

Fresh carrot, cabbage, red onion and mushroom
Thinnly sliced filet(raw)
lightly steamed bok choy
Dash of siracha
Beef brothe from scratch.

Approves. Lol.

A.

Maybe I just never knew what they were before I moved to the south. lol

I can get seed for sure and dried and canned and frozen.... But getting fresh unshelled blackeyed peas here in San Diego.... havent seen them for more than thirty years. Same goes for english peas.... Love em and another that I would like to grow myself. Want to do Aquaponics in my green house room I suspect all will do famously. growing tilapia and freshwater prawns and using the water for the hydro garden....

LOve your swimming pools....How do you keep the roots from being drowned in moisture though.

deb

Quote: Thank you, you are most kind. I enjoy reading and looking at the food and recipes and learning new things to try.
We are growing a small garden in kiddie pools. I am disabled and my husband is nearing retirement. So it's just the two
of us so we don't need much.

Straight neck squash plants

Raised bed and kiddie pool gardens

Strawberries for jam and baking
Strawberries is one of the big crops that San Diego grows.... along with Avocados. Yours have hUMONGOUS leaves.....

deb

Back
Top Bottom