Ask a chef

Look into pressure cookers--They pay for themselves since it will keep you eating at home and healthier.
I don't understand how a pressure cooker works, so I am a bit incredulous to own one, I also live near Boston so that always comes to mind when I think about a pressure cooker, probably stupid but can't help it

If you want I can explain the since behind it.

Pressure Cooking

pressure cooking has been around since the 1700's invented by a physicist experimenting with steam. The first commercial pressure cookers were made in the 1800's. so they have been around a very very long time.

The ones made today are much much safer and easier to use. Water has very interesting chemical properties. IN steam form its has more potential energy than Gasoline. You can actually use water to boost the horsepower in a combustion engine....

in pressure cookers the use of steam is contained in a container designed to hold in the pressure of steam. So you are not only cooking with heat but pressure. the steam forces the heat into the food faster.... and deeper.... breaking down tougher foods more quickly so that Old tough hen comes out falling off the bone.

In some cases the ONLY way you can cook is in a pressure cooker like at high altitude. Because water boils at a lower temperature than at sea level... considerably lower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_cooking

deb

pop.gif

Last edited:
If you want I can explain the since behind it.
I read debs reply, but I would love the scientific explanation

When you heat water the water molecules increase their movement. This movement is measured by a Physical valu cald TEMPERATURE. More heat in the water = temp raising. This is correct til you reach the temp of 100C .in this temp the extra heat is not turned to Movement AKA temp, but to Braking the choisyon forces holding the water molecules together AKA boiling and evaporation!
This is correct in the sea level where the air pressure is 1 atm, in hige mountain werer the air pressure is less then 1 atmosphere the boiling temp is much less then 100 C, I saw an experiment that in vacuum the water boiling temp was 25 C!
So you can understand that the boiling temp is corolated with the air pressure, low pressure=low boiling temp and HIGE PRESURE = HIGER BOILING TEMP OF WATER!
So in a pressure cooker the closing of the lid and the beginning of the cooking is Rising the PRESSURE in the pot= hige boiling temp of water =LIQUID water in THE FOOD which have temperature Higher then 100C= LESS time to cook the food!
And that is way pressure cooker need less time to cook.

Last edited:
http://www.thirtyhandmadedays.com/31-crockpot-freezer-meals-for-busy-weeknights/

http://tiphero.com/29-freezable-crock-pot-recipes/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/30-minute-meals.htmlDwayneNLiz

I do a lot of Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals most are very healthy and taste great!
There are also sites that help you make up crock pot meals ahead of time and put them in the freezer to use as needed. I put meals on in the crock pot pretty often.
Thanks you!!!

When you heat water the water molecules increase their movement. This movement is measured by a Physical value called TEMPERATURE. More heat in the water = temp raising. This is correct til you reach the temp of 100C .in this temp the extra heat is not turned to Movement AKA temp, but to Braking the choisyon forces holding the water molecules together AKA boiling and evaporation!
This is correct in the sea level where the air pressure is 1 atm, in high mountain where the air pressure is less then 1 atmosphere the boiling temp is much less then 100 C, I saw an experiment that in vacuum the water boiling temp was 25 C!
So you can understand that the boiling temp is correlated with the air pressure, low pressure=low boiling temp and HIGH PRESSURE = HIGHER BOILING TEMP OF WATER!
So in a pressure cooker the closing of the lid and the beginning of the cooking is Rising the PRESSURE in the pot= high boiling temp of water =LIQUID water in THE FOOD which have temperature Higher then 100C= LESS time to cook the food!
And that is way pressure cooker need less time to cook.
Thank you!! very interesting!

I bought some flounder which is such a blah fish. Would you suggest a sauce or something to help it? I wish I could afford Halibut it doesn't need anything.

Back
Top Bottom