Asking for advice

Apr 8, 2021
I am hoping someone has had some similar problems with their chickens. We adopted these birds 10 months ago. They were aprox 3 months old. We bought a house 8 months ago. Since we have been here, we lost 3 hens. 1st died a little over a month of us moving here. 2nd died aprox 2 months later. Now #3 died 4 months after #2. We live in Wisconsin, winter was long and t bhb e girls chose not to want to go outside. Preferred the warm coop. They started going out again about a month ago. Could there be something in the soil they scratch in cause their deaths? They all looked like they were laying their egg. 2 did before they died. Seemed like they were unable to move. Just their head. I hope someone has some advice - PLEASE 😢

Can you give us a few details about how they were kept, if there was good ventilation, what type of bedding on the floor, if they roosted, and what exactly they wer eating? Did you have crushed oyster shell and grit available to them? Coccidiosis could have been a problem, but very hard ro diagnose without having a bird sent to the state vet for a necropsy. You can contact them here if you have another death:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

When you found them, where were they?
Under the roost? In the run?
They were all on the floor in their coop. Looked like they were just laying their egg. Peaceful like. No other signs were shown, other than this last one kept on going into different areas other than the nesting box to lay her eggs.

Can you give us a few details about how they were kept, if there was good ventilation, what type of bedding on the floor, if they roosted, and what exactly they wer eating? Did you have crushed oyster shell and grit available to them? Coccidiosis could have been a , but very hard ro diagnose without having a bird sent to the state vet for a necropsy. You can contact them here if you have another death:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
We use wood shavings for bedding, excellent ventilation as the doors do not fully close. They eat a mixture of chicken mash, oyster shell, meal worms, chicken scratch feed, chicken treats (mixture from Tractor supply), they get cabbage once in awhile, or lettuce, cucumbers, etc that are fresh. Thank you so much for your advice. I hope we do not have another death. It saddens me so much as I try my darnedest to keep them healthy. I clean up after them each day, along with clean water containers, and change food dishes constantly.

In what state are you located? Each state has a state vet who can do a necropsy and look for a cause of death if you send a body in soon after death (keep the body cold, not frozen.) It is best to stick with chicken feed as 90% of their diet. Layer feed is for layers, while chicken starter or flock raiser is given to chicks and chickens who have not laid. Scratch is junk food and should be limited. Oyster shell should not be mixed in food, but put in a container for all to take as needed, and the same with grit. Grit aids in digestion and is needed for the gizzard to grind food. Coccidiosis is a common disease that chickens may get from the soil. It is more common in chicks, but it can affect older chickens who may be weak or immune-compromised. Worms are also common. Many vets will perform a fecal float to rule out worms and coccidiosis. Be sure to get a necropsy if you should lose another.

Back
Top Bottom