Asking for help with buff ducks....okay,desperately asking for help lol.

amandapekinduck

In the Brooder
May 4, 2017
I have three large buff orpington ducks. I believe one is a male and one the other two are females. The larges one which i believe is a drake has almost like a white collar around his neck. They are around three months old and fully feathered My questions are :

Do I need to clip their wings?
when can I let them free range( we have a pond)?
I am worried about hawks and other predators how do i keep them safe Id hate to see them in the run all day.
Can I keep a rooster with them to keep them safe (Id like to get a younger one and socialize it well I have a young son who I don't want to get hurt if the rooster is nasty) assuming I can buy one younger and raise it with the ducks?

A rooster won't go out into the water and that is a place the ducks will be vulnerable too not only from flying preds but from those under the water like snapping turtles which love to kill and eat duck or bite feet and parts of bodies off. I'd bait your pond first and relocate all snappers and then check often for more before deciding to let your ducks on the pond.

I'd forget the rooster. I have roosters but they also have hens to take care of and warn of danger.

I have never seen my Buffs make it off the ground to fly.

Once you know there aren't any under water preds maybe let your ducks free range with your supervision. Unless you can give them more fencing for protection.

A rooster won't go out into the water and that is a place the ducks will be vulnerable too not only from flying preds but from those under the water like snapping turtles which love to kill and eat duck or bite feet and parts of bodies off. I'd bait your pond first and relocate all snappers and then check often for more before deciding to let your ducks on the pond.

I'd forget the rooster. I have roosters but they also have hens to take care of and warn of danger.

Once you know there aren't any under water preds maybe let your ducks free range with your supervision. Unless you can give them more fencing for protection.

okay, they dont really like the pond as of now they hate it actually they much prefer their kiddie pool.

Also I only have the ducks ...would a rooster help at all with keeping them safe?

If you started out with a tiny roo and tiny ducklings they would most likely form a flock together and the roo would be protective but getting a young roo or an adult roo I don't think he would bond with your ducks or your ducks to him. Your best bet is fencing and lots of bushes for cover. I have half acre fenced for my birds with lots of trees and bushes for cover from flying preds. We still get the hawks flying over and one did fly down and get a bantam hen but for the most part the birds have been safe.

Kiddy pools are safer. lol

If you started out with a tiny roo and tiny ducklings they would most likely form a flock together and the roo would be protective but getting a young roo or an adult roo I don't think he would bond with your ducks or your ducks to him. Your best bet is fencing and lots of bushes for cover. I have half acre fenced for my birds with lots of trees and bushes for cover from flying preds. We still get the hawks flying over and one did fly down and get a bantam hen but for the most part the birds have been safe.

Kiddy pools are safer. lol
Oh okay we have a lot of trees overhead but no shrubs only in the front yard maybe ill try to introduce the to that area...

No....The rooster will not protect the Ducks....
The Drakes will kill the Rooster...You need more Hens for your Drakes....or get rid of a Drake...
I believe i have only one drake and two hens ( i dont know how to sex them they are three months and where i got them from didnt know either) I only have the tree ducks. can I introduce a new duckiling or younger duck or will they not accept it?

Back
Top Bottom