Asking neighbors for grass clippings.

Mine abosultely love to eat and dig around in the clippings. I'm sure there are little bugs that get caught up in the clippings and they like the grass too. (and weeds since I have a "natural" lawn full of all kinds of weeds, clover, dandylion etc...)

I would ask. Two of my neighbors bring me their grass clippings and leaves for my garden. I just have a certain place by my from fence and they just dump it over. As long as they don't have pesticides or pet waste, I don't see why they would care. Now that I have chickens, my one neighbor brings all his veggie scraps over for them. Works out nicely! You could offer them eggs if you want, but I wouldn't feel obligated to keep them in constant supply as grass is something that they would probably throw away anyway.

Quote:
Yup they eat them and play in them. Not sure how much I am new to this and only have 6 chicks.

I throw half of a mower bag of grass in the run each time I mow. I have 6 golden comets who go nuts for the fresh grass. Plus it adds some color to the run for a day and the smell of fresh cut grass helps freshen it.

I did until my neighbor started spraying 2-4D on his grass.

Before you ask make sure they aren't spraying anything that will kill the chickens. something like 2-4D kills 1 in 4 chickens, and round-up will make them go into shock.

I give my girls cut grass all the time - they eat it, kick it all over etc. I was always told that eating grass is good for egg flavor. Also I throw in all the grass I pull up when weeding ( clumps) and toss it into the run. They peck, poop and dig it in which then becomes a natural compost after a few weeks. I then shovel out the top layer of the dirt in the run and start over again. It is a great natural complost bin.
D.gif

Now that I have chickens, my one neighbor brings all his veggie scraps over for them. Works out nicely! You could offer them eggs if you want, but I wouldn't feel obligated to keep them in constant supply as grass is something that they would probably throw away anyway.

What a nice neighbor! I'm barely starting to get my relatives to get used to saving me their scraps.

Also I throw in all the grass I pull up when weeding ( clumps) and toss it into the run. They peck, poop and dig it in which then becomes a natural compost after a few weeks. I then shovel out the top layer of the dirt in the run and start over again. It is a great natural complost bin.

I also do that. They seem to like to pick at the mud that comes up with the roots the most. And it's such an easy way to clean out the coop. The only thing that I've realized is that it takes a long time for hay/straw to compost.

Haha! I use scissors and cut my girls a couple pans of grass each day
big_smile.png
They don't free range due to too many hawk and other predators in our area. They love to see me coming with the pan!

Back
Top Bottom