Aspen Shavings?

Aspen is really part of the birch family, about as benign a tree as you can get. Go for it.

Sounds like that guy knows a thing or two. Consider him a good resource.

I found out I was allergic to the pine shavings when I was preparing the brooder and got in a panic over what to use. I was so glad i found the thread about using the Aspen shavings (never heard of them before). Anyways they are very hard to find here
sad.png
but I am not having a reaction.

Thanks to all of you i have learned so much from you guys And by The way my hens have started laying a month now we are getting 6 eggs a day . This is our first time raising chickens And it is so much of a joy . AGAIN Thanks. A bunch or should I say a dozen
1f414.png

I've used aspen shavings for my pets with more sensitive respiratory systems like my rats. But for chickens I'd say use pine (unless of course in the case that TSC is sneaking cedar in) because of the price difference. But I will say the best for overall respiratory health Aspen would be the best for sure.

We ran across cooler pads made of net-bundled aspen shavings. No additives, coatings, etc. They were $5.99 each, and look like each will nicely create 4 comfy nests. Any thoughts, concerns, or cautions?

Just went by the local store to pick up pine shavings, and the guy said that aspen shavings were actually better for birds-no aromatic oils that can cause repiratory and skin irritation (like pine and cedar). Anyone use aspen shavings, and if so-what are your thoughts?
We use aspen for all of our animals . We prefer them to pine. Less dust, no odor.

Back
Top Bottom