Aspirin Dosage!!

How much and how often can I give aspirin?

This website says 5 mg/kg which is ~2.3 mg per pound, or ~11 to 12 mg per five pounds. It also says you can dissolve a 325 mg tablet in 250 ml of water, which is what the poultrydvm site says.

http://www.vetfolio.com/veterinary-practice-issues/controlling-avian-pain
aspirin_4.png

This book says the same as the above:
http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf
aspirin_1.png
aspirin_2.png

And another book:
http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf
aspirin_3.png

http://www.armchairpatriot.com/Home-Vet/Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook [Desk Ed.] 6th ed. - D. Plumb (Blackwell, 2008) WW.pdf
aspirin_5.png

Last edited:
I had a 3 week old chick that had a bad injury, I split a baby aspirin in half and dissolved in a cup of water. The chick was kept in my bedroom, and without it the first night he did barrelrolls trying to "escape" the pain, the next night it seemed to help calm him down. For only a week I did this every other day, then stopped completely. Most chickens have a surprisingly high pain tolerance, and dosing with aspirin could end up hurting them more if we aren't careful, but it can be useful short term.

Greetings rosemarysugar,

I use aspirin for my chickens. A chicken can safely have up to 120 mg. of aspirin a day. I use a low dose 81 mg. tablet, which I split in half for a 40 mg. dose.

The single 40 mg. dose is for a standard size chicken. A bantam should have 20 mg. for a single dose.

And you can safely administer 3, 40 mg. doses per day, for a standard size chicken.

However, do take into account that aspirin can irritate the intestines, if used long term (more than 3 days). To avoid this, follow with food as a buffer.

Do not use aspirin if there is active bleeding.

Do not mix aspirin with Carprofen, or Ibupropfen as there is a drug interaction, in chickens.

I hope this was helpful.

God Bless :)

Thank You very much!!

I had a 3 week old chick that had a bad injury, I split a baby aspirin in half and dissolved in a cup of water. The chick was kept in my bedroom, and without it the first night he did barrelrolls trying to "escape" the pain, the next night it seemed to help calm him down. For only a week I did this every other day, then stopped completely. Most chickens have a surprisingly high pain tolerance, and dosing with aspirin could end up hurting them more if we aren't careful, but it can be useful short term.

Poor critter!!

Greetings rosemarysugar,

I use aspirin for my chickens. A chicken can safely have up to 120 mg. of aspirin a day. I use a low dose 81 mg. tablet, which I split in half for a 40 mg. dose.

The single 40 mg. dose is for a standard size chicken. A bantam should have 20 mg. for a single dose.

And you can safely administer 3, 40 mg. doses per day, for a standard size chicken.

However, do take into account that aspirin can irritate the intestines, if used long term (more than 3 days). To avoid this, follow with food as a buffer.

Do not mix aspirin with Carprofen, or Ibupropfen as there is a drug interaction, in chickens.

I hope this was helpful.

I'm so happy to come upon this. Here in BC the pharmacy does not sell baby asprin. So I got the low dose asa 81 mg.

Greetings rosemarysugar,

I hope this was helpful.

Very helpful!
I have an arthritic hen who is 8 years old with crooked toes. I hope this helps her.

Very helpful!
I have an arthritic hen who is 8 years old with crooked toes. I hope this helps her.
For long term use you would be better off getting Meloxicam - yes I know need a script from a Vet, and more costly, but it is less irritating to the gut so it can be used for longer term.

Back
Top Bottom