Aspiring chicken farmer in CT

Thanks wicked, still learning how to properly use this site and make use of all its info. I guess I came into this whole chicken farming scene a little backwards if I must say myself. I always wanted chickens when I was young, I believed that it was possible for one to raise them on one's own. Now, I will say that my parents urged me that keeping chickens was nonsense in their book, due to all the hard work involved and such, it never became more than a dream or fairytale to me. It wouldnt be until much later in my life that the reality of chicken farming on my own would set in. This came after much gained enthusiasm on the idea, after a backpacking trip through most of Europe and parts of africa , and especially while in Egypt where after seeing how simply and easily they were raising their own chickens in what seemed to be extremely efficient coops. Then, to be honest I first fell in love with the design and beauty of their coops before ever knowing that any chickens were even kept within. This I admit seems a little bit strange, but none the less is true. It really came as a surprise to me, quite a surprise really.
I'm finding there are many ways in which one could raise chickens, as if one was elevated by benchmarks through gained knowledge, research and scientific study as through the scrutinizing eyes of the observer as he peaks through his objective lens. Though I may have chosen the most complex method to go about raising chickens, the funny thing is when it comes to the universal concepts that do reach across the full spectrum of methods, it's with these I'm having the most trouble... For instance does the observer with his observations stand his ground and anchoring himself in his beliefs allows his mind to wander in a spastic stigmatized way, or does he contemplate himself and his beliefs while pacing here and there with anxiety no bearing and a racing mind?

Thanks wicked, still learning how to properly use this site and make use of all its info. I guess I came into this whole chicken farming scene a little backwards if I must say myself. I always wanted chickens when I was young, I believed that it was possible for one to raise them on one's own. Now, I will say that my parents urged me that keeping chickens was nonsense in their book, due to all the hard work involved and such, it never became more than a dream or fairytale to me. It wouldnt be until much later in my life that the reality of chicken farming on my own would set in. This came after much gained enthusiasm on the idea, after a backpacking trip through most of Europe and parts of africa , and especially while in Egypt where after seeing how simply and easily they were raising their own chickens in what seemed to be extremely efficient coops. Then, to be honest I first fell in love with the design and beauty of their coops before ever knowing that any chickens were even kept within. This I admit seems a little bit strange, but none the less is true. It really came as a surprise to me, quite a surprise really.
I'm finding there are many ways in which one could raise chickens, as if one was elevated by benchmarks through gained knowledge, research and scientific study as through the scrutinizing eyes of the observer as he peaks through his objective lens. Though I may have chosen the most complex method to go about raising chickens, the funny thing is when it comes to the universal concepts that do reach across the full spectrum of methods, it's with these I'm having the most trouble... For instance does the observer with his observations stand his ground and anchoring himself in his beliefs allows his mind to wander in a spastic stigmatized way, or does he contemplate himself and his beliefs while pacing here and there with anxiety no bearing and a racing mind?
Chicken is as chicken does. :D

Welcome to BYC!:welcome

As a new chicken owner myself (in CT as well), I've been fascinated watching their behavior and overanalyzing thier sounds and interactions. I also (as a result of our recent weather) have found myself overworrying about their winter care because unlike the other birds flitting around my yard right now, the genetic traits of my chickens have been artificially selected for optimum egg production rather than naturally selected for survival in New England's climate.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome wagon, always nice to see there are other kind people out here. Still working on my designs this morning, I think I'll stick to the first design i had for the main body of the coop, having a great interest in the sci-fi genre I've decided to build the main body of the coop in resemblance of the classic 50s style ufo saucer shape. Still working out the ventilation, ramps, Windows and such. TwoCrows has a very nice coop setup, great pics as well. Looking forward to cracking some beautiful multicolored Rainbow Eggs open soon. :D
I've seen pictures of a saucer coop online and it looked really cool. I'd love to see pics of your design when its done.

I'm new to BYC and recently posted my first question about winter weather in CT. My post is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worried-about-the-weather.1211784/

A lot of responses included helpful pictures too that might help inspire your creative side!

Hello naturegirl, glad to see your local. My coop design regardless of new England weather is centered around keeping the coop as air tight as possible, completely sealed is actually optimal is my design. Now keep in mind the coop will still be able to be mobile as to move about the yard. I also plan on developing some sort of robotic chicken catcher with a clear mind and natural eyes for the thing...as im quite into electronics. When it comes down to it I know I'll be raising something, up to a point im not 100% sure it will be chickens.

Hello naturegirl, glad to see your local. My coop design regardless of new England weather is centered around keeping the coop as air tight as possible, completely sealed is actually optimal is my design. Now keep in mind the coop will still be able to be mobile as to move about the yard. I also plan on developing some sort of robotic chicken catcher with a clear mind and natural eyes for the thing...as im quite into electronics. When it comes down to it I know I'll be raising something, up to a point im not 100% sure it will be chickens.

Don't forget that you need ventilation with chickens. It's important in cold weather. Drafts are bad but ventilation is necessary.

Don't forget that you need ventilation with chickens. It's important in cold weather. Drafts are bad but ventilation is necessary.
This Coop will be a totally isolated unit, such as a terrarium or planet has its own atmosphere, It will be sealed with an air scrubbing device to keep the Chickens happy and healthy

So long as it ain’t just eyebrows I’m sure you’re gonna have fun whatever you end up raising. Welcome to BYC!

Shouldn't be any eyebrows, these chickens will practically feed and care for themselves all while producing. Shouldn't have to do more than give the coop a spin around the yard from time to time. Maybe open the coop and put some new breeds in from time to time. This is of course still a dream as im working on practical designs while recovering from a bad leg injury.

Back
Top Bottom