Aspiring chicken farmer in CT

Shouldn't be any eyebrows, these chickens will practically feed and care for themselves all while producing. Shouldn't have to do more than give the coop a spin around the yard from time to time. Maybe open the coop and put some new breeds in from time to time. This is of course still a dream as im working on practical designs while recovering from a bad leg injury.

This I gotta see!

Shouldn't be any eyebrows, these chickens will practically feed and care for themselves all while producing. Shouldn't have to do more than give the coop a spin around the yard from time to time. Maybe open the coop and put some new breeds in from time to time. This is of course still a dream as im working on practical designs while recovering from a bad leg injury.
If you're going to dream, dream big! You could probably design and build the coop within a greenhouse style bio-dome. Build the saucer coop on a rotating platform in the center and section off the bio-dome. Then you could set the coop to automatically rotate every few weeks so when the coop hatch opens, the chickens explore new worlds (while the other sections of the bio-dome recover from foraging).

Sci-fi points if you get Rhode Island Reds and you program the chicken catcher to only catch red feathers.

If you're going to dream, dream big! You could probably design and build the coop within a greenhouse style bio-dome. Build the saucer coop on a rotating platform in the center and section off the bio-dome. Then you could set the coop to automatically rotate every few weeks so when the coop hatch opens, the chickens explore new worlds (while the other sections of the bio-dome recover from foraging).

Sci-fi points if you get Rhode Island Reds and you program the chicken catcher to only catch red feathers.

Sounds like we're on the same page, this is my plan pretty much. Now I'm not sure if this coop will have more than one type of feed, but I've heard that if you feed with a certain colourful type of cubic feed, the same stuff they used to use over in egypt...your supposed to gather only the redest of feathers using the loom catcher

Thanks wicked, still learning how to properly use this site and make use of all its info. I guess I came into this whole chicken farming scene a little backwards if I must say myself. I always wanted chickens when I was young, I believed that it was possible for one to raise them on one's own. Now, I will say that my parents urged me that keeping chickens was nonsense in their book, due to all the hard work involved and such, it never became more than a dream or fairytale to me. It wouldnt be until much later in my life that the reality of chicken farming on my own would set in. This came after much gained enthusiasm on the idea, after a backpacking trip through most of Europe and parts of africa , and especially while in Egypt where after seeing how simply and easily they were raising their own chickens in what seemed to be extremely efficient coops. Then, to be honest I first fell in love with the design and beauty of their coops before ever knowing that any chickens were even kept within. This I admit seems a little bit strange, but none the less is true. It really came as a surprise to me, quite a surprise really.
I'm finding there are many ways in which one could raise chickens, as if one was elevated by benchmarks through gained knowledge, research and scientific study as through the scrutinizing eyes of the observer as he peaks through his objective lens. Though I may have chosen the most complex method to go about raising chickens, the funny thing is when it comes to the universal concepts that do reach across the full spectrum of methods, it's with these I'm having the most trouble... For instance does the observer with his observations stand his ground and anchoring himself in his beliefs allows his mind to wander in a spastic stigmatized way, or does he contemplate himself and his beliefs while pacing here and there with anxiety no bearing and a racing mind?
You're welcome Bill! To be honest, I've been here for two years and there are still parts of this site I'm learning about navigating...lol! You sound like you're doing fine.:thumbsup

Nothing to me is really that strange. There is so much diversity across a country, let alone the world! It's fantastic and amazing! :celebrate Each culture and each country has its own founded way of doing things. But that doesn't mean that one way is the only way.

I suppose I believe that the observer with his observations won't truly be fulfilled if he does not stand his ground to, at the very least, try to bring to fruition the plans his mind has poured over and decided upon. If he hesitates about himself and his beliefs...his mind may never cease the burning contemplating of "what if" while he follows the proverbial "flock of sheep."

I suppose you could say I'm an observer who, with careful and measured contemplation, is not afraid to follow my own convictions should I feel it necessary to test the boundaries of truths. That's why I come with a disclaimer in my signature. :D (Please see below)

However, I'm also a believer in the philosophy of "less is more" and keeping things simple rather than creating complicated strategies. There are certain truths that don't require questioning. I think people are successful when they stay open-minded and flexible in their approach. As you've seen in your observations with chickens, there can be more than one successful approach. :)

Last edited:
Hello naturegirl, glad to see your local. My coop design regardless of new England weather is centered around keeping the coop as air tight as possible, completely sealed is actually optimal is my design. Now keep in mind the coop will still be able to be mobile as to move about the yard. I also plan on developing some sort of robotic chicken catcher with a clear mind and natural eyes for the thing...as im quite into electronics. When it comes down to it I know I'll be raising something, up to a point im not 100% sure it will be chickens.
I have to ask after reading this paragraph; how many chickens are you thinking of keeping? :)

I have to ask after reading this paragraph; how many chickens are you thinking of keeping? :)

I'm thinking that may be my secret :D, as I've come into this so backwards that an inquisitive mind could easily square this so called number and triangulate some sort of path to what I'm starting to believe may be a rather ancient and uncommonly used method. I surely wouldn't want to post any spoilers

You're welcome Bill! To be honest, I've been here for two years and there are still parts of this site I'm learning about navigating...lol! You sound like you're doing fine.:thumbsup

Nothing to me is really that strange. There is so much diversity across a country, let alone the world! It's fantastic and amazing! :celebrate Each culture and each country has its own founded way of doing things. But that doesn't mean that one way is the only way.

I suppose I believe that the observer with his observations won't truly be fulfilled if he does not stand his ground to, at the very least, try to bring to fruition the plans his mind has poured over and decided upon. If he hesitates about himself and his beliefs...his mind may never cease the burning contemplating of "what if" while he follows the proverbial "flock of sheep."

I suppose you could say I'm an observer who, with careful and measured contemplation, is not afraid to follow my own convictions should I feel it necessary to test the boundaries of truths. That's why I come with a disclaimer in my signature. :D(Please see below)

However, I'm also a believer in the philosophy of "less is more" and keeping things simple rather than creating complicated strategies. There are certain truths that don't require questioning. I think people are successful when they stay open-minded and flexible in their approach. As you've seen in your observations with chickens, there can be more than one successful approach. :)

Oh sh*t.....the wheel of fortune is on! :D i think there is a 12 days of Christmas marathon, too many subaru commercials, and too much red wine this evening :wee
.........the tv's not even plugged in, I don't think it ever was

Back
Top Bottom