aspiring hen owner

Hanaruru

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Puget Sound Area
I'm not yet a mother hen, but i hope to be one day. I am 25 and from washington state in the USA. My boyfriend and i have an apartment, and this means no yard for chickens.
sad.png
(although we do have a very sweet hamster who is the size and fuzziness of a baby chick.)

i have been pining for pet hens since summer 2008. until then i browse Backyard Poultry magazine, spy on hatchery websites, and i thought it was finally time to jump into the huge pool that is backyardchickens.com!
i hope it is not too many more years until i can have my own birds. until the time comes, i put away a dollar a week into my "hen house fund". i want a flock of 3-6 girls, with the full rainbow of eggs. I'd love to know which eggs comes from which hen. right now i am looking for breeds that are friendly (because i like to pet my pets!), as well as fairly good egg producers. right now i'm dreaming of Australorp, golden campine, easter egger, RIR, maybe a Maran. my boyfriend loves to think of birds as mini dinosaurs so he would like a modern game/Malay/ jungle fowl ... something prehistoric looking.
lol.png

i've been on the site for one day and i've already learned a lot. by drawing on the collective experience in this forum, i'm sure i'll be ready when i finally have my own yard and flock!

thanks!

Welcome! Well, at least you're at the right spot to get great info ahead of time. I love the EE hens! They are very friendly, and lay beautifully colored eggs. In fact, I have 2 EE pulles coming in April (along with about 30 other chicks). Anyway, hope you don't have to wait too awfully long before you realise your dream of becoming a "mother hen"!

A warm welcome from an imp in Renton

Check out the Washingtonians thread in the Where are you forum. Lots of nice people there.

Imp

Thanks so much for all the nice replies everyone!

i will check out the Washington thread. I know there are at least a dozen chicken owners up here in Everett where i live. there is one coop that i bike past on my way to work.
smile.png
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom