1. smoking + drinking alcohol + chewing tobacco
2. smoking + drinking alcohol
3. pipe smoking
4. smoking + chewing tobacco
5. drinking alcohol + chewing tobacco
6. smoking
7. drinking alcohol
8. chewing tobacco

It has been a long time since I saw the list but I do know that chewing tobacco alone was not in the top 5.

The other often overlooked factor is a person's genetic make up and their predisposition to cancer in the first place.

If you ignore that part, I should have mouth and throat cancer due to being a former pipe smoker, cigar smoker. cigarette smoker, leaf tobacco chewer (Redman or Beechnut), Copenhagen dipper and a heavy alcohol drinker. At this point in time, I have no signs of mouth or throat cancer.

I did watch a man slowly die from being a heavy alcohol drinker and cigarette smoker as the cancer destroyed his face and throat. It is not a pleasant way to go.

Last edited:
1. smoking + drinking alcohol + chewing tobacco
2. smoking + drinking
3. pipe smoking
4. smoking + chewing tobacco
5. drinking alcohol + chewing tobacco
6. smoking
7. drinking alcohol
8. chewing tobacco

It has been a long time since I saw the list but I do know that chewing tobacco alone was not in the top 5.

The other often overlooked factor is a person's genetic make up and their predisposition to cancer in the first place.

If you ignore that part, I should have mouth and throat cancer due to being a former pipe smoker, cigar smoker. cigarette smoker, leaf tobacco chewer (Redman or Beechnut), Copenhagen dipper and a heavy alcohol drinker. At this point in time, I have no signs of mouth or throat cancer.

I did watch a man slowly die from being a heavy alcohol drinker and cigarette smoker as the cancer destroyed his face and throat. It is not a pleasant way to go.
I just had a mouth cancer screening...so far I'm in the clear.

I just had a mouth cancer screening...so far I'm in the clear.
I worked with a woman who was a heavy life long smoker and drinker. She kept at it after her husband passed from lung cancer. When she died, she wanted to make sure that everyone knew that she did not die from lung cancer. What no one bothered to point out to her was that the colon cancer that killed her also can be caused by heavy drinking and smoking. She would be my age if she had lived. Unfortunately she died around 20 years ago.

I worked with a woman who was a heavy life long smoker and drinker. She kept at it after her husband passed from lung cancer. When she died, she wanted to make sure that everyone knew that she did not die from lung cancer. What no one bothered to point out to her was that the colon cancer that killed her also can be caused by heavy drinking and smoking. She would be my age if she had lived. Unfortunately she died around 20 years ago.
Are you telling me to go get my rear checked out too?

I think I mentioned this before, but it made such an impression on me... way back in the Pleistocene era when I was nursing, I used to float sometimes from CCU to the ENT unit. I floated all around because I enjoyed it and the other ladies preferred to stay put. (It was nearly all women back then.)

At the time smoking was permitted in the hospitals. Many/most of the nurses in the cancer units smoked; many CCU and SICU nurses smoked as did those in the less specialized floors even though many of the diseases we treated (especially in the units) were caused or exacerbated by smoking and drinking and other tobacco forms. Obesity was also a factor of course but not nearly the problem it has since become.

NO ONE working in the ENT unit smoked or used tobacco and very few drank--even those were only occasional alcohol users. There, you saw people... often young healthy men--often popular HS athletes terribly disfigured. I guess it was the visuals that had such an impact. You don't see the ravaged lungs or the wrecked esophagi and digestive tracts or the necrotic heart muscle that ought to have remained healthy and viable for many many more decades. You did see the faces and jaws cut away to save the life that would never be the same afterward. It made an impression.

Back
Top Bottom