Assisted guinea hatch, curled feet

ZJchicks

Chirping
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Hello! I just hatched some guinea keet eggs after the guinea hen abandoned the nest on day 25.
I had one egg that had trouble hatching and I assisted (should has assisted earlier but was my first time and I was nervous to start too soon).
Keet was definitely ready to hatch. Wing over head was preventing it. I helped him out of egg yesterday. Gave him some time to stretch out as was very crumpled.
Today decided he needed his feet taped. We used a firm credit card type plastic and spread them out as instructed from this site and taped them down. He is standing on them now.
My question is, when should I move him to brooder. All the other keets are already running around like nuts. He was in the shell at least 24-36 hours trying to hatch. I am unsure when he will really need food and water and am concerned he will have a hard time on shavings and with the other birds. Thoughts as to when he must be in the brooder?

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I went ahead and gave the keet some water. It was thirsty. I put food and water In the incubator as it was the last one left and isn’t ready for the brooder with the competition. Turned down temp a bit.
Hope this can help someone since no one was around to help me while the commented over and over on other posts that had no need for a rapid reply.

Hi! Sorry no one answered your questions. How is the little guy doing? I find that sometimes when a chick/keet gets stuck in the egg and you have to help it, it can take a little longer to uncurl from its egg shape and get on its feet.

I had a quail with the same issue. I tape his foot and put him in the brooder when he was ready. He was fine with the other chicks and getting around. Just keep a close eye.

Just curious how your guinea turned out? I had the exact same thing happen and my poor Keet if falling all over the place with its shoes but it’s getting around and eating and drinking. How long did you leave the shoes on and did it’s feet get better?

Back
Top Bottom