Assisted hatching after drop

jolenesdad

┑( ̄▽ ̄)┍
7 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
First I'll just get it out. I dropped an egg yesterday. It bled. It's still alive. :hmm:eek:

3 eggs in incubator.
2 due Saturday
One Due Today

yesterday, one of the Saturday chicks had zipped and hatched and the one due today was eternally pipped. Nothing on the other Saturday egg. It is a pullet egg, borderline what I thought was big enough, but I was worried maybe it was having an issue. I pulled it to candle because I have an empty running incubator I could put it back in and DROPPED IT.

On the bottom, tiny end. a drop of blood came out. I put mild pressure and it seemed to stop. Chick moving inside. I put it back.

After the chick due today hatched, I pulled cracked egg and still lots of movement. No pip. So I opened the air cell. slight receding veins and a struggling chick. No problem, I thought, there's enough receding to make a pip. So I did. the chip is screaming inside.

It turns out that is a leg. It's upside down.

Question:
Im still sort of worried about a few of these veins, should I go ahead and stick this in a cup in case that leg is able to wiggle free now?

The chick is not "distressed" loud chirping, but chirping fairly constantly and moving a lot.

Pic attached.

The bottom part of the egg is the top of the photo. I removed the shell parts that had the cracks in them and placed coconut oil around there to see what was going on. The blood is dried from yesterday. fairly clear veins but not 100%.

The bottom of the photo is the air cell. that's the leg right in the middle. Its not the clearest of photos, so it looks a little redder and darker in the shadows, but that's mostly veins and not blood.

Tagging @CluckNDoodle because I had messaged her originally to share my horror at dropping the egg in the first place. She reminded me that mamas step on their babies all the time. That's what friends are for! :hugs:lau

IMG_0061.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you able to see the navel or egg sac since the chick is upsidedown in the egg? If it's absorbed than the excess blood you're seeing in the blood vessels may be from the initial crack. If you do proceed I would start by only removing the shell and leaving the membrane intact until you are 100% sure the yolk sac is absorbed.

Do you have any corn starch, it'll stop any bleeding. I think you should just assist it the rest of the way. If it has yolk still then stick it in a cup.

When I had an egg that broke from a chick hitting it hard, the membrane started to dry out over the chick. I put coconut oil on the membrane and helped the chick the rest of the way. It still had some yolk so I out it in a cup for 24 hours and it absorbed everything. The chick survived and is now outside.

On closer inspection I feel like the veins are not connected at all and I’m going to investigate.

:fl:fl:fl I'm holding my breath for you and hoping for the best!! You've helped in more difficult hatches and were successful. If it's going to work out then you would be the one to save it!

Wow there was lots of blood from my drop. It also popped a vessel near the air cell with its leg it looks like.

It was positioned upside down. I imagine this egg was too small?

Could my drop actually have saved it by getting it air? Lol. I’m going to tell myself that.

Had a freshly absorbed yolk just hanging on, so I left it to come off on its own but did not think it needed to be in a cup. I think it’s going to make it. Thanks for helping, everyone.

0EBDAC4D-E89A-4176-AA29-670576832904.jpeg

40793FA7-7AF7-4643-ACCA-6379CC24CD74.jpeg

484358E3-6DEA-490C-BC1C-0CEFD6E980A7.jpeg

Yes @aart i have! This summer I did 100 or so shipped eggs and it was a disaster I had so many issues and so many necessary assists with sticky chicks and shrink wraps and all the rest. I’ve been running these broiler eggs in the incubator to see if it’s me or the eggs.

I’m removing this from the tally because I shouldn’t have set that small of an egg with a broiler chick inside of it anyway. If I do that, I’m at 100% no assist hatch rate so far.

I think shipping eggs does so much to the egg we will never totally understand.

Back
Top Bottom