Assisted hatching an emu, can anyone advise please?

Davidmayo

Hatching
Apr 11, 2020
Hello, ive been reading huge amounts on this forum regarding emu hatching and anything emu related really. Has been very useful!

Now really hope someone with some experience of assisted hatching (of any breed) can help me.

I've had some eggs in the incubator, now on day 55. I believe only two of the eggs viable and the first one hatched on day 51. The second egg is still not hatched.

This egg was wiggling loads just like the first one from around day 44, but hasn't wiggled in days now. Getting worried I made a safety hole on the air sac end of the egg, large enough to see movement inside....it's still alive but doesn't move alot.

Getting more worried I made the hole.large enough that I could feel.with my finger planning to peel off some membrane so it could breath. Feels very very squishy, not like a chick, I made a small hole and it's lots of amber coloured goo in there. I'm certain this isn't the yolk as firstly it's the wrong end of the egg and secondly there is no blood vessels where the amber goo is.

Makes me think it's undeveloped but why was it wiggling so.much a few days ago as if it was going to hatch.

I have taped up the hole so it doesn't dry out and plenty of humidity in the incubator.

Does anyone know what's going on here, should I assist further, does it need a few more days or is this an undeveloped chick?

Any advice much appreciated thanks!

IMG_20200409_220951.jpg
IMG-20200411-WA0031.jpg

So is it alive? That would be the first question to answer. Don't tear any membrane, you could start bleeding, even if you don't see any veins. The goo makes me think late quitter unfortunately.
Hi thanks for reply. Yes it is most definitely alive still. It reacts to me when I whistle at it but is not strong enough to move the egg, whereas a week ago the egg would wiggle around when put on worktop. I haven't damaged any blood vessels.

Hello, ive been reading huge amounts on this forum regarding emu hatching and anything emu related really. Has been very useful!

Now really hope someone with some experience of assisted hatching (of any breed) can help me.

I've had some eggs in the incubator, now on day 55. I believe only two of the eggs viable and the first one hatched on day 51. The second egg is still not hatched.

This egg was wiggling loads just like the first one from around day 44, but hasn't wiggled in days now. Getting worried I made a safety hole on the air sac end of the egg, large enough to see movement inside....it's still alive but doesn't move alot.

Getting more worried I made the hole.large enough that I could feel.with my finger planning to peel off some membrane so it could breath. Feels very very squishy, not like a chick, I made a small hole and it's lots of amber coloured goo in there. I'm certain this isn't the yolk as firstly it's the wrong end of the egg and secondly there is no blood vessels where the amber goo is.

Makes me think it's undeveloped but why was it wiggling so.much a few days ago as if it was going to hatch.

I have taped up the hole so it doesn't dry out and plenty of humidity in the incubator.

Does anyone know what's going on here, should I assist further, does it need a few more days or is this an undeveloped chick?

Any advice much appreciated thanks!
So is it alive? That would be the first question to answer. Don't tear any membrane, you could start bleeding, even if you don't see any veins. The goo makes me think late quitter unfortunately.

Hi thanks for reply. Yes it is most definitely alive still. It reacts to me when I whistle at it but is not strong enough to move the egg, whereas a week ago the egg would wiggle around when put on worktop. I haven't damaged any blood vessels.
Hm. That's odd. I don't know what the top would be. Maybe it ruptured the yolk sac somehow? How many days past the usual hatch date is it? I've never hatched emus.

The normal hatch time is 50 days. Hatched one a few months ago and that was bang on 50 days and the one already hatched this hatch was day 51. Im in two minds whether it's best to do a fully assisted hatch now or wait a few more days and risk it dying inside the egg. I can't see it hatching on its own, only seems to be getting weaker. If it wasn't for the large amount of goo in there I wouldn't be too worried about helping it out, but almost seems like it can't be fully developed...if that's the case I'm confused how it's still alive this late into the process and how it had strength to move the whole egg not long ago.

I would start going in personally. Has your temp been steady? Is your thermometer calibrated?

Yes I've read that article, very helpful.

So I just checked the egg, no movement so assuming it's dead I've fully hatched it to find a very small but fully developed chick, with a large yolk sac not absobed. totally surrounded by this thick amber goo. Never would have chance of getting a breath nevermind hatching. Should of had it open a few days ago but was a hard call to make. Will now try and add pics as it maybe interesting for people to see.
IMG_20200411_225318.jpg
IMG_20200411_225443.jpg
IMG_20200411_225711.jpg

Back
Top Bottom