1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Assisted Hatching Gone Wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Greenem10, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Greenem10

Greenem10 New Egg

Apr 28, 2016
    This morning I attempted to help a chicken hatch from the egg and I thought he was ready, but I drew blood. I put a dry paper towel on him to stop bleeding and then put the egg back in the incubator. This was my fist time doing assisted hatching and I read the article but it wasn't very clear on what to do if I raw blood. I do not know the breed of the egg and he pipped yesterday morning with no help and made no progress within 12 hours, I know most chicks can take a while to start zipping but I had already lost 2 in the pipping/zipping stage. As of right now there are no other pipped, zipped or hatched chicks in the incubator. please help me.[​IMG]

2. Poohb10454

Poohb10454 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    Savannah TN
    It's hard but try not to intervene unless you just have to. Wait until you think it's been long enough and then wait a little longer. I dont usually consider it before 24 hours. Anytime I open the incubator, even just a crack when I already have a pip I lose a lot of them, they get sticky and shrink wrapped :( Good luck with the rest of your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by