assisting hatch help

christina123

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2022
Hi, I have a duck egg needing an assisted hatch.
It was a shipped egg with a severely saddled air cell.
Today is day 29. I was torn with timing- I didn’t want to help too soon but I didn’t want to help too late either.
I began the process with a safety hole. After 24+ hours there was no progress so this morning we began chipping away by the air sac.
It is still chewing so I know the yolk sac isn’t absorbed.
I found an article online for assisted hatches which I’ve been following.
But at this point I believe the only thing to do is put the egg back in the incubator and wait.
Can someone confirm this for me?
Please no negative comments. This egg is very special to us, and I really need advice for the best outcome.
Thank you!

D750E6B8-47A5-41CC-B07D-9EB4122A0FB4.jpeg

Keep the membrane damp, dont let it shrink wrap! I dab my finger in warm water and dab the membrane around the hole at times like this. I put painters masking tape over the hole of anything I need to open early to check, then 'close' the end again. Because that tape is paper based it breathes like eggshell.

Good luck!!!

Keep the membrane damp, dont let it shrink wrap! I dab my finger in warm water and dab the membrane around the hole at times like this. I put painters masking tape over the hole of anything I need to open early to check, then 'close' the end again. Because that tape is paper based it breathes like eggshell.

Good luck!!!
Ok, thank you! The membrane keeps drying out so that is a good suggestion!

Hi, I have a duck egg needing an assisted hatch.
It was a shipped egg with a severely saddled air cell.
Today is day 29. I was torn with timing- I didn’t want to help too soon but I didn’t want to help too late either.
I began the process with a safety hole. After 24+ hours there was no progress so this morning we began chipping away by the air sac.
It is still chewing so I know the yolk sac isn’t absorbed.
I found an article online for assisted hatches which I’ve been following.
But at this point I believe the only thing to do is put the egg back in the incubator and wait.
Can someone confirm this for me?
Please no negative comments. This egg is very special to us, and I really need advice for the best outcome.
Thank you!
Update: the little guy wiggled out of the shell, but yolk sac is not fully absorbed. Looks like a pale pink ball (the size of a penny). I put the duckling (feet/butt side) back into the egg shell, and propped it up in a cup with a dry towel, and then back into the incubator (99.5 degrees F, ~70% humidity). Any tips for a successful outcome? I have been researching but I am reading mixed results.

Back
Top Bottom