1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Assisting Hatch-three hatched-one unhatched but viable-day 22

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by elissaann2006, Sep 22, 2015.

1. elissaann2006

elissaann2006 New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Goodmorning,
    I have hatched three chicks yesterday on day 21. I am using a Brinsea mini Adv incubator. I am trying to decide if I should help the fourth unhatched chick along. I candled it this morning. It has piped internally and is moving, but not externally and I cannot hear it. It is now Day 22. I read the article on assisting with hatching, but she said only to help if you hear something, I do not. The other three chicks are happily moving around in the brooder. Thoughts?

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Congrats on the hatched chicks!

That is a hard decision. I have helped and gotten healthy, strong chicks and I have helped and had chicks that died a couple hours later. I would suggest opening up a small hole in the top, where the air-sac is, so that the chick won't suffocate. This way you can also monitor its progress somewhat. Cheep to it or play the sound of hatching chicks to encourage it and hopefully it will get out on its own.

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by